Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Conundrum

Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Conundrum

It’s a long and arduous tale of how came to owning a 2012 JKUR. I love it. There is nothing better than going down the road with the top off especially in the summer. But, I am running into some issues I simply can’t get around. First, the Jeep is my daily driver and I drive 80 miles a day commuting. 16mpg is eating me out of house and home. Once again, I love it, but can’t make commuting in a 36K rig with Knobbie tires that wear out quickly and that gets poor gas mileage make any sense? I am spending about $800/month on this rig.
Second, where we usually go wheeling, you pretty much need a trail rig (or one that you are willing to dent and bang up.) There is a lot of under brush that scratches the crap out of everything, Big Rocks/logs in the trail, and very tight trails. The JKU is simply too big. We just went up Saturday, and had replaced 1 axel, and had to reweld a trail arm bracket by the time we were finished (I knew better and left my rig at home.) Once again I am having a hard time justifying putting another 6k worth of parts on my jeep and then trashing on my daily driver in the woods.
Even if I were to buy a running car to get to a-b, I still don’t think I can afford to have a $40k toy hanging around my garage. I am perplexed.
Anyone else?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had some of the same feelings, luckily I only drive 9 miles to work, but I can see where your coming from. I don't really have any helpful advice lol
Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the exact same feelings. And have the jeep up for sale.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll chime in. I bought an '09 Rubi jku in early '09 brand new back when Chrysler was taking a dump and stole the thing (felt like it at least). I had it for a little over a year and absolutely loved it. Did just a few mods- small lift, spacers, hood lights, HIDs, light guards, etc. I was all about it. I've always loved Jeeps, an have had several but this was my first "real" Jeep. Finally, a Wrangler. This was my DD and I do tend to drive quite a bit for my job, although my commute to and from the office is short (5 miles), we work all over the state. Well, long story short, the gas mileage and interstate time bouncing around was really getting to me too, and against my better judgement, I traded it. Now, fast forward a little over 2 years, and I'm sick. I miss the thing so bad that I've made my mind up that I'm getting another one ASAP. I literally can't stop thinking about it, and I really miss it. Now, I tend to trade cars a little more regularly than most (recently at least, typically keep my vehicles 2-5 yrs or more), but my jk is the only one I've missed after it was gone. I think honestly the reason I've traded so much after getting rid of the jk is because I've been trying to fill that void (on my 3rd car since the jk). I know, I know...

There's just nothing like it! So, I say keep it. Maybe try to make some mods to the engine or computer to enhance your mpg. I know they can get pricey, but in my opinion they're worth it and I think that if you get rid of it, your heart will hurt worse than your wallet does now!! Mine does, so I'm going to fix it and get myself back in a jk!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

I have a similiar problem....I took care of my long commute by buying an old acura rsx that gets great gas milage. I love the way my jeep looks...love driving topless.....but I don't like the way it drives....so I find myself thinking about other vehicles I can have instead of my big slow jeep. Get yourself a commuter vehicle...
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Man, I feel your pain.

I got back from a deployment with a big bank roll in 2010. Dropped 35 big ones straight up on a brand spanking new Rubicon Unlimited with dual tops. Bought a Superchips, headlights, Procomp Wheels, and some other fun having things for it. Well, I was stationed in Georgia, and that Jeep was a blast. The whole back side of Fort Gordon and it's fire trails were open to wheeling, and I had a time of it. Then I met my wife. Then I moved to Fort Carson in Colorado, where I re-enlisted to go to. Then I was buying plane tickets, and making road trips. I even went into debt to move my Jeep to Colorado. When I got to Colorado, the altitude killed all of what little power the Jeep had. I couldn't even hold the speed limit on the highway going to visit my buddies in Boulder, or picking my wife up from the airport.

So I traded it in. That day, I wasn't sad to see it go. I was putting some much gas in it. The hills had my foot all the way in it just to keep up with traffic, on stock tires and suspension. I put 20,000 miles on it, and was able to trade it in on a 2011 VW GTI. For what it's worth, that car is amazing, and I still have no monthly car payments. But.... I started missing driving in the snow no matter how deep it was. Me and my wife started our relationship going out in the woods in my Jeep, heck, the fact that I even had a Jeep is part of what got me a second date And Colorado just isn't quite as fun without a vehicle that can handle the snow, the dirt roads, and the ability to just throw all my boarding gear in the back, and still haul 4 other people. I even took that stock Rubicon down the entrance to Liberty trail, and right back up the entrance, haha.

Fast forward to 2012. My wife is graduated nursing school, she's moved out to Colorado, and I got her an 08 2 door JK right before I left to replace her old civic. Now I don't have plane tickets to buy each month, and my housing allowance covers the bills, and my wife has a steady pay check. And I have the itch again. Real bad. Worse than I had last time. I got a taste, and now I want it back. So, I'm starting to think that the gas bill might be worth it, now that I don't have plane tickets to buy each month, and my car is still worth enough to keep some payments real low. Plus I'm married now, and you can't realistically haul a baby around in the back seat of a hatchback. Plus, if that new engine is any bit better than that old minivan hunk that was in the old one..... You get the picture.

Anyway, sorry for writing a book! My ass is stuck over here in Afghanistan for another 2 months, and I'm on that late night Jk-Forum crack! And some cold beers, after a long jeep ride up into the mountains sounds about like the best thing in the world from where I'm sitting!

Take it easy
Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flienlow
It’s a long and arduous tale of how came to owning a 2012 JKUR. I love it. There is nothing better than going down the road with the top off especially in the summer. But, I am running into some issues I simply can’t get around. First, the Jeep is my daily driver and I drive 80 miles a day commuting. 16mpg is eating me out of house and home. Once again, I love it, but can’t make commuting in a 36K rig with Knobbie tires that wear out quickly and that gets poor gas mileage make any sense? I am spending about $800/month on this rig.
Second, where we usually go wheeling, you pretty much need a trail rig (or one that you are willing to dent and bang up.) There is a lot of under brush that scratches the crap out of everything, Big Rocks/logs in the trail, and very tight trails. The JKU is simply too big. We just went up Saturday, and had replaced 1 axel, and had to reweld a trail arm bracket by the time we were finished (I knew better and left my rig at home.) Once again I am having a hard time justifying putting another 6k worth of parts on my jeep and then trashing on my daily driver in the woods.
Even if I were to buy a running car to get to a-b, I still don’t think I can afford to have a $40k toy hanging around my garage. I am perplexed.
Anyone else?
I'm perplexed !!!!
Guys like you buy these jeeps and then bitch afterwards!!! Sorry for the comment but it gets old these complaints.
I'm pretty sure you knew what you were getting into when you bought a jeep with knobbie tires and knowing the distance of your commute.... In your case by what you describe it would be wise to sell it.... Sucks big time but sounds like your sinking fast.... good luck.... anyone who loves their jeep(sounds like you do) I really do feel for if they have to get rid of it :(
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get rid of the Jeep if I had an 80 mile commute. There are so many vehicles that would be safer, handle better, be more comfortable, and get 2 times the gas mileage on the highway. Then buy an older JK 2 door and build it up for the weekends.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with sirkle. This thread will go back and forth undoubtedly but it's what you feel like you need to do. I have to admit when shopping for mine I kept the gas mileage away from my wife because I knew that would be a deal breaker. She still don't know what it actually gets but has made comments about our gas bill going up since buying it.
The way I see it- I work my ass off running our company and I don't have many toys (in fact I have none but my Jeep). Most guys will have their jet skis, 4 wheelers, boats, you name it. I have my Jeep and I don't care what the gas costs, I don't care about how rough it rides or how much it leaks in the rain (above both doors and drips on your legs).
I LOVE the feeling I get everyday when I get behind the wheel. I love the stares I get and when people ask me to roll down my window at red lights asking what size lift or tires I have. I know due to these things that IF I ever parted ways with it, I'd never get over it and would be in the market for another eventually. I have more than a regular attachment to mine- its almost unexplainable. Must be that "Jeep thing"
You asked for our opinion and that's mine for what it worth. I've never talked to anyone that had sold theirs not hated themselves for it later. But again- that's my reply and I wish you the best in the decision.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only live once. Enjoy it. Your rig is a piece of machinery to use to enjoy yourself. Thats the way I look at it.

Quick Reply: JK Conundrum