Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Labor costs are ridiculous!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labor costs are ridiculous!

Yesterday was the planned day for my father and I to attempt a install of my Rancho 4" lift on the JKU. Long story short we never even got the tired off because my idiot self forgot the wheel lock. But initially him and I weren't 100% we could do this lift, just because it's our first and suspension is something I really don't want to chance.... A few phone calls later to shops... Avg $570! Thats my new bumper and winch! Now I'm definitely sure I want to do self install. Just amazes me on the price of labor these days
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FirewalkerSahara
Yesterday was the planned day for my father and I to attempt a install of my Rancho 4" lift on the JKU. Long story short we never even got the tired off because my idiot self forgot the wheel lock. But initially him and I weren't 100% we could do this lift, just because it's our first and suspension is something I really don't want to chance.... A few phone calls later to shops... Avg $570! Thats my new bumper and winch! Now I'm definitely sure I want to do self install. Just amazes me on the price of labor these days
I've learned not to begrudge skilled people their money in exchange for their knowledge and expertise. If there's something I can't do (equipment, time, experience) then I have no problem paying a guy for his time and talent. Where I have a problem is when you pay that same rate for a guy that screws up your job and you've got to fight them to make it right.

What's your time worth? That's the way I usually look at it. Just my .02. . .
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

What value do you put on your life and the lives of your friends and family? $570 sounds cheap to me for the peace of mind of knowing it was done right and all parts were torqued to the proper specification and nothing is going to give way as I travel down the highway at 70 mph! The suspension is one of those things I let the experts mess with, too much that can go wrong that could have catastrophic results!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very true point. That is a worry of mine because that's exactly what happened with my first install. I do believe that over the years though I have gained knowledge from the forum and it's members but I suppose it's the first turn of the wrench that just needs to be done. Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

So appointment is schedule for tomorrow... Thanks y'all
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
What value do you put on your life and the lives of your friends and family? $570 sounds cheap to me for the peace of mind of knowing it was done right and all parts were torqued to the proper specification and nothing is going to give way as I travel down the highway at 70 mph! The suspension is one of those things I let the experts mess with, too much that can go wrong that could have catastrophic results!
Of course this all assumes that the new "shop kid" is not doing the install. I have often found that I can do a job better myself than someone else who is fighting the clock, and trying to make a buck.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think the price is unfair I was just caught off guard. I would classify a price being unfair if it was only one specific shop compared to others but that isn't the case. The lift is Rancho's 4" sport kit with control arm brackets
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thought initially as to the amount that was charged for labor. Then a few weeks ago helped install an OME 2" lift on a buddy's WK. Half way through the front I knew I was in for a long night.
I've always been a DIY guy but thought twice more than a few times while doing the install. After it is said and done it was a great time shooting the crap with friends drink some beer.
Best of all he now owes me a lift install when I finally get mine.
I respect the guys that do installs like that for a living and their time is worth it in the end!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to put it simply if my ass in on the line id rather it be in my own hands , with that being said , anyone who has any familiarity with tools and has the time and patience , the sky is the limit , there is nothing you cant do yourself , having confidence is the ultimate tool. i have trained many , many people , on building and installing complex assemblies and subassemblies that had never done more than change their own oil , if that , but the first step is having them overcome self doubt. that is readily accomplished by having them progress from simple to increasingly difficult procedures . this is just a long way of advising you that if your not confident in your ability then dont attempt it , start with small things and as you gain experience go bigger . a skilled buddy is a great asset to have to back you up and coach you through bigger jobs . but i guarantee you , that you could install that lift yourself just by reading the directions and getting info online

Quick Reply: Labor costs are ridiculous!