Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leaking power steering.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking power steering.

Has anyone ever seen power steering leak from this bolt on the engine. It’s on the right bottom side of the engine and it is ATF-4 fluid because my power steering is low. Anyone got any thoughts on why it’s leaking from here. Urgent help! It’s my daily driver

Second bolt from the bottom

Second bolt from the bottom
Old 10-20-2020, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

That sir, looks like a leaking WP to me. That looks like coolant, not ATF-4, and that is your WP which makes sense. I think the PS issue you're having is unrelated. ATF-4 is also a darker red. You can also tell by the way it's burnt off that it is coolant.
The following users liked this post:
JRey14 (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
That sir, looks like a leaking WP to me. That looks like coolant, not ATF-4, and that is your WP which makes sense. I think the PS issue you're having is unrelated. ATF-4 is also a darker red. You can also tell by the way it's burnt off that it is coolant.
but why has my power steering tank been loosing fluid after I let it drip for awhile. The coolant has remained at the same level. And it smells like ATF-4. I’m not saying your wrong it could be that but just weird how the tank for power steering is getting low as that drips.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you follow your PS fluid lines from the tank over to the PS pump, and then over to the steering box, do you see any place the lines are all dirty, or any place around the pump itself? Your OAT coolant has a purple additive, and that is what it looks like is all dried and crusty around your WP. You see all that purple coloration? Not saying it's the WP itself, maybe hose heading to WP, but it sure looks like coolant to me. ATF won't dry up quite that same way....it will stay wet and messy as it collects dirt like oil does.

A good way to test fluids that are dripping is to put some white paper under the drip and let it collect. You'll be able to identify the true color/nature easily.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-20-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

If you follow your PS fluid lines from the tank over to the PS pump, and then over to the steering box, do you see any place the lines are all dirty, or any place around the pump itself? Your OAT coolant has a purple additive, and that is what it looks like is all dried and crusty around your WP. You see all that purple coloration? Not saying it's the WP itself, maybe hose heading to WP, but it sure looks like coolant to me. ATF won't dry up quite that same way....it will stay wet and messy as it collects dirt like oil does.
I do not see a purple coloration anywhere. I cleaned all the PS lines and everything in there to see if I can see the leak and the only place that’s leaking is from that bolt. If it would let me I have videos and stuff to show but it doesn’t let me upload videos. My coolant has stayed the same and it doesn’t over heat is the weird thing. And my power steering tank keeps loosing fluid so none of it kinda makes sense.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Take a look at my old shot radiator here in post #24 -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...6/#post4319572

That is what dried coolant looks like. Now take a look at your picture here -

Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Take a look at my old shot radiator here in post #24 -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...6/#post4319572

That is what dried coolant looks like. Now take a look at your picture here -
ahh yeah kinda does look like that. The dealer replaced my radiator like 20k miles ago cause it cracked. But would u have any idea why I’m loosing PS fluid?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Could be leaking pump or line somewhere. You really just need to follow the lines and see where it's dirty. If the level is dropping, it's sure going somewhere. Look at this video though and you can see what a mess ATF is going to make where it leaks. You also see how dark red and oily it is relative to your pictures.

The easiest way to get videos on here is to just upload them to youtube and then copy a link and paste it in your post. that will embed the video for us to see. You can take a video of you following the lines and inspecting the pump itself..... we can try to help spot something.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-20-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Could be leaking pump or line somewhere. You really just need to follow the lines and see where it's dirty. If the level is dropping, it's sure going somewhere. Look at this video though and you can see what a mess ATF is going to make where it leaks. You also see how dark red and oily it is relative to your pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eM...ature=emb_logo

The easiest way to get videos on here is to just upload them to youtube and then copy a link and paste it in your post. that will embed the video for us to see.
Aye thanks brotha. Really appreciate the help!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Hopefully you find source of a PS leak, but don't ignore the elephant in the room now. That does look like a fresh drop of coolant, so all the dried residue is not just from something old. There is a current slight leak. You mention you're not noticing any loss of coolant and it's not overheating at all. That looks like a very tiny leak. My old radiator looks like it had a bad leak, but in reality all that mess was a tiny pinhole that consistently passed a pressure test. I'd just notice having to top off the overflow resi every 3-4 weeks, but you see the mess even tiny leak caused over time. Those leaks don't tend to get better, so just be aware of the situation you have going and keep an eye on it. If it is the WP, it's not a terrible job but does require a bit of work to get to. The intake, alternator, tensioner and idler pullies all have to come off just to get to it, as well as lower coolant hose......and if you're opening up the cooling system it's time to just replace anything else related to normal preventative maintenance.

Old rad again just for reference -

Quick Reply: Leaking power steering.