Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leather vs Cloth Seats

Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kneeman
You need to read better dude or understand what you read.

All I did was give the over all negatives of leather and cloth in any vehicle. The only point I mentioned a Ford in was resale value because that is different in different vehicles the rest is just general negatives of each.

My cloth negatives said they can hold water, stain, stink, smell.

If people that have had cloth and leather in a Jeep want to post and say cloth does this and leather does that, that is fine.

I was obviously giving the general differences in both.
Maybe, I do need to read better, but at the same time maybe you need to learn how to write better huh? Because, a lot of your so called negatives are wrong. So let's go into those a bit and maybe we can both see why I had some misunderstanding in your original post.

Negatives:

Leather does not breathe
Leather does breathe. Vinyl doesn't breathe. It's already been discussed in this discussion how the leather does not make you sweat. Go back and read what has already been discussed.

Negatives:

Leather wipes clean easier
So you're saying Leather wipes and cleans easier is a negative??? So how is cleaning easier a negative??? Is that what you really wanted to say??? Hmmmmm??? Maybe my reading isn't at fault here, and it may have something to do with your writing as I pointed out then huh? Or did you REALLY want to say that Leather whipping clean easier is a Negative?

Negatives:
Leather will wear quicker
I believe I talked about this in an earlier post, my cloth looked like shit after only 4 months of use due to easily getting snarls and snags and holding dirt, where I now have had leather in the same vehicle for 3 years and it still looks new. So where is your negative? Maybe another good reason why I'm confused with your writing, since this has already been discussed in this thread, where now it seems you're just posting nonsense as facts. Yes...the leather does wear, but define your definition of wear? Because, the look of my cloth looked a whole lot worse after 4 months of use than my leather does after 3 years of use. Thus, the cloth looked more worn to me.

Negatives:
Leather requires you to be careful when moving or sliding stuff on it
How is this reduced with the cloth? I mentioned earlier also that the JK cloth seats often come with a fishnet stocking material that snags onto items when you slide them across it. So really??? I should learn how to read??? How about taking some of your own advise and read what has been discussed previously, instead of jumping into the middle of a discussion and spewing a bunch of B.S. as facts?

Negatives:
Leather is more maintenance
I talked about this earlier also. NO IT IS NOT!!! Again, take your own advise and go read, because we talked about that same thing in this discussion already.

It seems you have a bad case of people in glass houses syndrome "dude".

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-11-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe I am wasting time replying to you but I'm glad I made you waste all that time in your last reply.

Only thing I posted wrong was wiping off leather easier should be a positive.

Most people have common sense and will read my post and know everything I mentioned is correct.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

The question is if you had a bad lunch and got the runs, which seat would you rather have?

The one that absorbs or repels?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I can't believe I am wasting time replying to you but I'm glad I made you waste all that time in your last reply.

Only thing I posted wrong was wiping off leather easier should be a positive.

Most people have common sense and will read my post and know everything I mentioned is correct.
You just keep trying to convince yourself of that. I'll stick to my personal experience in having had both seats in the same vehicle and sharing those experiences with others.

Could you point me to where I can get myself a leather seat "maintenance" handbooks? I think my leather seats must be due for their yearly tune-up by now but since I haven't had to do any maintenance on them in over 3 years like you said is needed, then I feel I may be a bit overdue. What kind of maintenance you think is needed? Do I need to go back and re-Tan that leather skin? Or do you think a good coat of sunflower seed oil would do? I'm just not sure what kind of maintenance is needed and you seem to be the expert with all this common sense on the subject.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

I have to agree with Rednroll about the maintenance and wear factors. I had cloth on my last TJ and it was a maintenance nightmare. Ended up covering them. My JK is two years old and if you treat them with Meguires leather wipes even once a year, they will slightly darken, but give it a sheen that will mask wear. There is no evidence if wear. If anyone does notice slight wear, wipe it with Meguires leather wipes and all the leather will look pretty uniform. No need to cover it like cloth.
And for those 100 degree days, throw a towel on the seat !!!! Throw it in the wash and no sweat issues and seat is clean! No rocket science,
And about resale value lower with leather....that needs to be proven! It's as silly as it sounds.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How I waterproof the cloth ones

I think leather would be pretty nice. I've got the cloth ones. I found this product 303 fabric guard to protect them. I made a post about it and will paste it here for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmnuMa8ofM I bedlined my tub (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...hreads-238739/), but the seats and roll bar cover left me not wanting to get my Jeep muddy. I applied 303 fabric guard 2 weeks ago to the seats, roll bar covers, and seat belts. Now I'm not afraid to give it hell with the windows out. I wonder how long it will last.

HOW MUCH YOU NEED
I got it at a boat store. 16oz with me putting it on thick was not quite enough for me to do just the front seats (not the back seat), roll bars, and belts. If your going to do this yourself I would at least get the 32oz size. It does sort of stink for a few days.

When trying to find a good product I also ran across "Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield." You can get that at Wal-Mart. I don't think that it protects fabric from fadeing, so I went with the 303.

Quick Reply: Leather vs Cloth Seats