Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual or automatic?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or automatic?

Hey guys. I'm a newbi to the jeep world. Thinking of getting a wrangler. Now I have a choice Of a manual trans or automatic. This is going to be mostly a DD'n vehicle. probly won't see off roading but maybe seasonal snowy condition during the winter. Now for the experience drivers what's the better route to go with for my moneys worth ,an automatic or a manual.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2011 3.8 manual and find it great. As a DD an auto would probably be easier but I've always been a manual driver, and with the 3.8 it seems to address the 'lack of power' issues some have with the auto version.

Plenty of threads on this topic and it seems to really just come down to pers choice. Take both for a test drive and see which you like best. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, after owning my personal Jeep for 20 years that was a manual, I will be getting an automatic on my next Jeep.
One less thing to "think" about.
From this picture this is WOLette, on a trail in Colorado.
She is working the gas, clutch, brake, and winch while LISTENING (and killing it) on one of the toughest trails out there.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks.. I'm leaning towards automatic. Now I found two arctice edition a white auto no nav and the winter chill in manuall with navi.. Just comparing , pretty much it comes to the auto or manual
Old 06-05-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

manual no question about it!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I feel like the older I get and with kids, auto is my preference. Especially if your daily drive includes a bunch of lights or stop n go. one less thing to mess with. There are many folks here that will treat you like youre crazy for not getting a manual, I think they fear jeep will discontinue manual tranny. Its Totally a personal preference, try driving each and see what you like?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I go the manual route. I like the full on "driving experience thingy." (Technical term) Idunno.. I feel more connected to my ride that way.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've learned that this question often starts problems and doesn't have a right answer. It's like the 2 vs. 4dr. question? Most people think the 2dr is the true, classic icon. However if you follow that logic then an original jeep, a true jeep is always a manual. Strangely though it seems most folks on here drive autos? Myself, I have only owned manuals. Did you know that a wrangler is one of the only USA made vehicles with a manual and the only 4x4 I know of with one. With the exception of some imports, it seems the manual is a dying breed.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was me, I'd go with manual if you're using it primarily as a daily driver. If you plan on doin a lot of crawling, a lot of Proj JK members seem to prefer Auto as you don't need to be so busy with your feet clutching over obstacles at low speeds. Either way you should be good!

Quick Reply: Manual or automatic?