Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need suggestions please

Old 01-17-2015, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions please

I'm preparing to order 2015 rubicon hard rock and I'm looking at all of my after market items I want to add on. However if I don't order the parts through the dealership, I lose my warranty and I'm paying near double for the parts. My question is, is it really worth keeping the warranty rather than saving $$$$? I appreciate all suggestions.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who told you you'll lose the warranty? If it's the dealer, find a different dealer. I would not order any parts or let them do anything to my rig. Warranty issues are discussed a lot on here if you search a little.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Dealers are lying scumbags. Lots of threads about that on here too. They can only deny a warranty claim if they could prove the part you added caused the particular failure.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

It sounds like the salesman is pressuring you to spend a lot of money through them. As you point out, they charge a lot for that. The business about warranty support is actually up in the air--some dealers honor such mods, but some don't. And the parts that the dealers install are usually not better quality.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the law (honest-to-goodness federal law) on warranties. They can't just peremptorily say that your warranty is void because you did a mod. However, if they claim that a mod damaged a warrantied part (say, offset rims damaged the balljoints), then the proof that it didn't occur may very fall on you in a court of law. That's why folks like to find "mod friendly" dealers. Usually they have mechanics and supervisors who are into Jeeping, have friends they run the trails with, and they are pretty cool with mods--within reason, anyway.

I'd suggest that you familiarize with the Magnuson-Moss act by reading the Wikipedia article on it, as well as folk's experience with repairs as discussed on this forum. Then discuss this again with the salesman. If you're not satisfied that he's in tune with the law, ask to speak to a supervisor. Or, if practical, just move along to a different dealership and maybe at the new one right off the bat explain why you walked in their door. That should stop the crap (though it will cost you some bargaining power since they won't worry about competing with that other dealer).
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Might help if we knew what parts you're talking about.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default Specific Mods

here are the mods I'm looking at. 5" suspension lift. The dealership I went to said the warranty only covers 4" and under. 35" tires, cold air intake and exhaust.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Helster
here are the mods I'm looking at. 5" suspension lift. The dealership I went to said the warranty only covers 4" and under. 35" tires, cold air intake and exhaust.
Recommend that you read this sticky thread posted a while back by Dirtman. Bottom line: You're spending your money for almost no gain in performance and a whole bunch of mechanical headaches (which is why the dealer won't warrant your lift) ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-19-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

No need for that much lift to run 35's. Half of that is all you need, and will save you from having to upgrade a bunch of other components.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

No need for that much lift to run 35's. Half of that is all you need, and will save you from having to upgrade a bunch of other components.
x2
3" lift is all you need.... Forget the cold air intake that's a waste of money and your stock exhaust will last you 5 yrs and the warranties up.... so you can change it out then if you still desire.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Former Member

I'm preparing to order 2015 rubicon hard rock and I'm looking at all of my after market items I want to add on. However if I don't order the parts through the dealership, I lose my warranty and I'm paying near double for the parts. My question is, is it really worth keeping the warranty rather than saving $$$$? I appreciate all suggestions.
Nate, If you haven't purchased yet, give me a call. (Jeff C) I'm the General Sales Manager at David Ellis Jeep in Canoga Park. You definitely do not lose your warranty and don't have to go strictly MOPAR. Tons of options out there for you and I can go through those options no matter where you purchase. You will however run into uneducated service writers, salespeople, etc. that may tell you different, I can explain how to get around that.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions please