Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

nitto vs. toyo

Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation nitto vs. toyo

im liftting my jeep and im down to either a nitto mud grappler or toyo m/t's....any opinions?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Out of those two I would go with the Toyo. The Nitto Trail Grappler M/T would be a better choice from Nitto.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both very good tires.....but Toyo M/T gets another vote...I have run 2 sets of these tires and they are awesome...no flats, no sidewall punctures & awesome wearing and very quiet on the pavement.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A better comparison might be the Toyo MT and the new Nitto Trail Grappler MT.

It depends on what you expect from your tires, but unless you go to an industrial strength tire like the Interco's which sacrifice road manners, it is hard to beat the toughness of the Toyo MT.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09blkxs
im liftting my jeep and im down to either a nitto mud grappler or toyo m/t's....any opinions?
I have the nitto MG's and they put a smile on your face everytime you look at your jeep.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want your Jeep to sound like a Cessna get the Nittos. The Nittos are the most obnoxious sounding tire I've ever heard. I swear you can hear them coming from a mile out. They look cool,but I wouldn't ever want to listen to the Nittos on a regular basis.

The Toyos are tough,quiet,and balance easily. The downside is that they're really heavy and cost a fortune.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NorthRiver
If you want your Jeep to sound like a Cessna get the Nittos. The Nittos are the most obnoxious sounding tire I've ever heard. I swear you can hear them coming from a mile out. They look cool,but I wouldn't ever want to listen to the Nittos on a regular basis.

The Toyos are tough,quiet,and balance easily. The downside is that they're really heavy and cost a fortune.
Bit of an exaggeration IMHO. They buzz like a beehive. If my top is off or the radio is on at any moderate volume you can't even notice the sound.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maddygirl
I have the nitto MG's and they put a smile on your face everytime you look at your jeep.
And a hum in your ears, and a migraine, and a strain on your axles. They look good, but sound like a Bell helo and weigh as much as some semi tires. The TOYO gets my vote.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Nitto Mud Grapplers are not as bad as some exaggerate them to be. Yes you can hear them. I turn the radio to about 18 or so on the highway at 70mph with my hardtop on and its barely noticeable. They are an aggressive 10 ply sidewall load range E offroad tire. They are going to be loud, and both tires are 80lbs plus in a 35.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Toyo's. I've got almost 25,000 miles on mine and should be able to get another 20,000 out of them. I do rotate, all 5, every 3,000 though.

Quick Reply: nitto vs. toyo