Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Northridge favors Nitto Trail Grapplers!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333
They do in fact measure more "true" than others, but IMO it's because the sidwall has very little give at anything above 18 PSI.

On our 2 door you had to always hold onto the wheel. Even in the right lane where the road crown should pull you to the right some. If we took our hand off the wheel, we would be in the left lane almost immediately.

...and before the comments come out of the woodworks and people get butthurt. This was with NO steering stabalizer (troubleshooting this pull) and several alignment checks. When I swapped the tires to another brand the pull went away and the Jeep drove WAY better. No other change was made beyond the tires to resolve the poor handling and pull.
so what tire do you run now?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's Jeep has 35x12.50 GY Duratracs. This Jeep is a Daily Driver and light wheeler.

My Jeep has 37x12.50 GY MTR/Ks. My Jeep is mostly a toy and off-roader.

To be honest, I have never been a fan of GY tires. But these two sets have been amazing. They both measure very true and ride very well. I pointed out many of the flaws (in my mind) of the Nittos so I will point out some on the GYs too. They are a bitch to balance! (Don't even bother trying unless the place has a Road Force Balancer.) The MTRs have some history of sidewall issues. I have not had this problem but I know some have.

I have also run BFG AT, BFG MT (KM), BFG MT (KM2), Mickey Thompson Thornbird, TSL Swamper, Nitto Terra Grappler, and Toyo Open Country tires. Granted not all on Jeeps. (Actually the Nitto Terra Grapplers were the best tire I had ever run on my F250). But I would either run a Duratrac or MTR over all of them now.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

I will put my 3 cents in here as well.

I have run all kinds of tires over the years and all have their good and bad moments.

I ran 35's on my Jeep for a while in the TG and they were fantastic on the road. Low noise, wear like iron, heavy yes, but not that noticeable.

Traction was amazing on wet/dry roads and off road. This isn't a true mud tire, but a blend of an aggressive AT and a mud tire. That is why the noise level is so low.

So when I decided to do 37's, I went with the TG.

Not as happy with these.

There is a national shortage of tires so I finally got 5 in to mount and too were way off on weights, over 17 oz each.

Took about 2 weeks to find 2 more and one of those was bad.

Finally have 5 that are good, not great. Traction is the same, amazes me what they will do.

But, the noise level is worse, not as a bad as a true mud tire but louder.

The pull on both sets was minimal. Yea, they pull left some. Not lane changing but they do pull a little.

Bottom line, I would have stayed with the 35's if i had known, but wanted the look of the 37's as they fit a lifted JKU better in my opinion.

Still overall, the best all around tire I have ever used, but I like an aggressive tire as the AT's won't cut it and I don't want a full on mud tire either.

I run 25psi in my tires all the time and the ride is great. I do 15psi off road if I have to. Don't normally air down.

Just my thoughts for you all.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been really happy with my TG, I have them in 35" and load range E and have been surprised at how tough the side walls are. They've gotten all kinds of scratches, cuts, and chunks taken out of them but no leaking whatsoever. Mine aren't that loud at all for such an aggressive tire. They pull left a little but it's not bad and I have been really happy with the amount of traction off road. I have close to 40k miles on them and expect to get close to 60k
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

wish there were more reviews out there comparing the new Exo Grapplers to the Duratrac
Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought Id do a follow up on here. I got new wheels the other day to put my 37x12.5r17 Trail Grapplers on. I went from the stock Moabs to ATX Slabs. My initial impression is that the pull Ive been experiencing is now not as bad and the Jeep tracks better and is less darty. I dont know if this is an effect of the wheel width (7 to 9) the backspacing (about 4 3/4 to 3 1/2) or a combination of the both. The pull has become more of a slight drift and is much more tolerable. Anyways Im much happier with these tires now.

Quick Reply: Northridge favors Nitto Trail Grapplers!