Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions on the Mopar Cab cover in rain

Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the Mopar Cab cover in rain

Since I park at work with the top off most of the time, and there are no good shady spots, I got the MOPAR cab cover in sliver to keep the heat and sun effects minimized.
This one: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_604.htm

It is incredibly easy to install / remove and works great. It has a handy oversized storage bag and I am very happy with it.

Here is what I need opinions on... how does this cover handle rain? I can see how it would be OK for a light drizzle (and even then I suspect the water weight pooling on the top could tear it), but has anyone had any practical experience with this cover in rain, either light rain or heavy rain?
I'd like to know if / how it performs.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

I have only experienced sprinkles here in florida, and its been okay kinda obvious, I know.

With the top up and the windows down, side and back windows off I am no so concerned about the rain as much.
Now with the top down I get concerned.

Don't know if that helps.
I know it only takes like 2 minutes to put the cab cover on in case of some flash local rain that we have here in Florida.
It would be about 12 minutes to throw the whole top up.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by N2rock
I have the Mopar cab cover too- use it for the same reason as you. But... The thing is designed to be used with the roof on (not off). So we're both using it for what it's wasn't designed for. As such, it does not fit on the rear worth a damn- I have a method for snugging it on pretty good, but the reality is that any amount of rain is going to cause that rear portion to basically collapse in. Thus all water will run right into the rear of the Jeep.
That is exactly what happens.....and it sucks to have your laptop filled with water. It also won't cover the lower half of the doors when they are removed.....and it won't fit on the front right when your mirrors now mount to the pillar......and when using the soft doors you can't strap it down to the handles....other than that it's great.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got one for my birthday last year, went out and put it on. Like N2Rock said, it's designed to cover the soft top. I can't see it holding up in a good rain at all. I would think it would just fill up and collapse inside.

I returned it and got the Bestop All Weather Trail Cover. It is outstanding.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_0109_07.htm
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
I have the Mopar cab cover too- use it for the same reason as you. But... The thing is designed to be used with the roof on (not off). So we're both using it for what it's wasn't designed for. As such, it does not fit on the rear worth a damn- I have a method for snugging it on pretty good, but the reality is that any amount of rain is going to cause that rear portion to basically collapse in. Thus all water will run right into the rear of the Jeep.
N2rock - you got me thinking that I could call in a favor from the mother in-law to assist with a design that could cover the upper half or completely cover the spare tire (stock size for me).
The intent would be to assist with deflecting the runoff and provide some sort of support and/or take up the slack.

Wait it would be jacked up with the top up.

I have a plane ride tonight that I can ponder on this. Any thoughts don't throw any eggs please.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

N2rock maybe we can work something out
wait a minute why do I have to know people that sew...
Not that there's anything wrong with sewing

Alright now whats the other question/secenario regarding a cover that would be nice if there was a cover that did what?
That was my newbie question for today if anyone was curious.
Cheers
Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Bestop trail cover but it only works with the top down. Lately I have been running with the Warrior tube doors up front and the top up with windows removed. I would like a cover that goes over the top and covers the entire door openings.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

I have one made by a guy and itook the mesuurements with the top and doors off and when i had the topa and doors off i had the cover rolled up in the tunk just in case off rain but now its stored in the storage since i will not be able to take the top tillnovember. We hit 50C today thats like 122F. I think the cover would hold up great even in a storm. It has hooks at the bottom to hold it down.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Mopar Cab cover in rain