Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Someone broke into my JK!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone broke into my JK!

So today I parked at a Hilton about a mile down the road from my house for a convention for work... about 5 hours later I went outside to find that my portable GPS was missing and someone had broken in through the passenger door lock cylinder. Only a slight dent in the door because of it, but I just dont understand.... if they wanted my stuff, they could have easily unzipped my back window (any one of the 3) and gotten it . Then the alarm wouldnt go off either. I can tell they rummaged through my glove box, but didnt take anything, left the CB, left my radar detector, just stole the GPS. I knew something was wrong when i unlocked the jeep and it beeped three times, must have meant that the alarm went off. All in all it was a terrible day.... standing out in the 95 degree sun waiting for the cops to do a police report, finding out that my insurance wont cover the gps, and i have to pay a their $500 deductible if i want them to fix it....just terrible. Now i feel like i dont want to let her out of my sight! The power door locks still work, but i'm sure that the vehicle is more vunerable than before. I'm thinking of filling that cylinder with some JB weld and just leaving it. I never use a key to get in, and if i had to i could key in through the driver's door. Anyone had to replace a door cylinder or know where to get one? Sorry to rant.... know that there are others out there with worse. Worst part is i have to go back tomorrow to the same place for day 2 of the conference. Thinking of leaving something else in plain view and waiting in the bushes with a camera and a blunt object.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sucks. where was your gps at?

the only thing loose in my jeep are receipts, leaves and twigs.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

it was suction cupped to my windshield just to the left of the driver's seat, they clearly got jittery when the alarm went off so they ripped the thing off the dash and ran out. They didnt get a chance to get the wire because it was routed through the dash.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man, that sucks. im afraid to get a gps for this very reason.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sucks, I agree with your recon issue set up a camera catch him in the act, turn the camera off then beat the hell out him.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Suggestion

Hey man I know that sucks, but here is a suggestion that has saved my windows and doors from being broken into a couple times. I posted this in a thread earlier:

"However, speaking from personal experience about a week ago: I rarely have door/top/windows on, but one night I had to due to the rain. I am deathly afraid of someone cutting my windows just to find out my Insurance card and a black pen were the only things to be taken in the Jeep... so I figured out a way to deter this:
  • While inside her, with all doors closed, lock it with the keychain remote
  • This will arm the alarm, yet you still have 10-15 seconds before the red light in the dash turns from blinking fast to slow
  • Unlock every door by hand during this time
By the time you step out of the Jeep, all doors will be unlocked but the alarm will be set. Mmmk? So if some dip-shit tries to open your door, the alarm will go off. Sure they will get the door open, but just take all your possessions inside. At most it will take an extra trip to the truck and back inside. And if it's raining, I surely would rather want a little pool of water at my feet than broken glass. Hope this helps anybody."

Or roll down the windows if it's sunny. When they unlock the door from reaching in and open it, the alarm will go off.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think i may just take all the doors and top off tomorrow and leave them home.... then there is no lock or window to break, no soft top to cut.... I'll just clean the vehicle out leave nothing to take.

Any ideas on a new lock cylinder? Or just fill it with JB Weld?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
that sucks. where was your gps at?

the only thing loose in my jeep are receipts, leaves and twigs.
x2 minus the receipts, i bought a leather case for my gps and every time i leave my jeep i take it with me and put the suction cup in the glove box. kinda a pain to take it with me every time but i still have it. sorry for your loss
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

y not get those tuffy glove box installed and put your gps stored in the globe compartment when you are out of your car? I would just leave everything open and unlocked and all the valuables locked up in the trunk or glove comp.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Default Ah-h-h!

I hate stories like this. Sorry for your loss and the pain in the ass time it takes to make your rig right again- let alone replacing the GPS.

Quick Reply: Someone broke into my JK!