Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Out of curiousity...how did you pay for your mods???

Old 08-25-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PharmNip
For $5000:
Front and rear ACE bumpers, 5 grapps 295/70/17, 5 AEV Savegres, 2 sets of D2 duallys, and rear knuckles offroad plate with all the trimmings, working on trek armor covers
My question is why would you do it all in one shot , the point is to build it up and learn on the way doing it

99 percent of us took years to get to a point and it's not because of money , your taste change , what you are going to do with your rig change , new stuff comes out and sometimes doing one mod will change your opinion on your next one

By your list I would get wheels and a tire carrier first then see where your rig wants then

And I have no idea what a off road plate is so I can't say nothing about it
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I save spare cash and just focus at one mod at a time. I always pay cash for mods so it's dome and I don't worry is is not something I will go into debt for.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

401k. pay myself back with interest
Old 08-25-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is a DD and I have a great knowledge base and friends who know more. I don't run a spare so the plate allows relocation of the license plate and attachment of rotopax containers. I want to do it on steps but I've been doing that and by the time i get something new the old mod is beat to shit. Just said screw it and kill 10 birds with one stone.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
I save spare cash and just focus at one mod at a time. I always pay cash for mods so it's dome and I don't worry is is not something I will go into debt for.
Same here - not worth going into debt for. Also, it's nice to save some cash and look for used items/install yourself. I saved over $1k on my roof rack alone...but would never have been able to get it if I did not have the $$.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

dear GOD this is whats wrong w/ this country ! Want vs Need & not willing to wait or SAVE for it !
imo anyone thats taking out a loan to mod anything is asking for trouble !

do the math - would you pay 6000 for those same mods if they only cost you 5000 ? thats what youll be doing if you borrow the money (interest on a non secured loan)...by the time you pay off that loan youll likely be TIRED of the jeep & youll certainly have worn out the tires (needing more / new ones).

imo you should only borrow money for completely necessary items (car house etc) or for an EMERGENCY - stop spending every dime, put some money in savings and investments now....while youre employed....you may need it if you get laid off or have a medical emergency or accident.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

I do the same, start saving money while your thinking about your next mod then go for it. Me & my son-in-law do the mods ourself so it saves on the labor & you know what kind of job you got.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like others, I stash $$$ away in an envelop and slowly save that way. I also play a regular game of Poker where the winner will walk out with $600-1200 a game. So you win a few of those and your friends end up paying for your mods.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

about 15 hours overtime a week locking up evil doers
Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am using my kid's college fund!

Quick Reply: Out of curiousity...how did you pay for your mods???