Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Out of curiousity...how did you pay for your mods???

Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slowly but surely..... Just one mod at a time.. Or two!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my lift (4" superlift...mistake) and first set of tires (33.5" toyo mistakes) financed in the cost of the jeep at the dealership, sold the tires and got 37's, thinking about selling the jeep and re-starting with a 2012
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jknit
I got my lift (4" superlift...mistake) and first set of tires (33.5" toyo mistakes) financed in the cost of the jeep at the dealership, sold the tires and got 37's, thinking about selling the jeep and re-starting with a 2012
That's basically what I'd be doing, my loan guy would just add it to my JK loan and adjust the payments. If I had it to do over, I would get an X and build it the way I wanted.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PharmNip

That's basically what I'd be doing, my loan guy would just add it to my JK loan and adjust the payments. If I had it to do over, I would get an X and build it the way I wanted.
I wish I had upgraded my suspension and gotten the wheels and tires I wanted right away, I also really wanted leather...the thought of
Paying 4-5 grad for a lift and install seemed astronomical to me at the time, but within a month I realized I had cheapest out on the wrong thing...I'd rather have 450 dollar payments right now and not feel like my under carriage was going to rip out from under my jeep when I'm on uneven pavement hahaha (exaggeration)

Last edited by jknit; 08-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bushpilot

dear GOD this is whats wrong w/ this country ! Want vs Need & not willing to wait or SAVE for it !
imo anyone thats taking out a loan to mod anything is asking for trouble !

do the math - would you pay 6000 for those same mods if they only cost you 5000 ? thats what youll be doing if you borrow the money (interest on a non secured loan)...by the time you pay off that loan youll likely be TIRED of the jeep & youll certainly have worn out the tires (needing more / new ones).

imo you should only borrow money for completely necessary items (car house etc) or for an EMERGENCY - stop spending every dime, put some money in savings and investments now....while youre employed....you may need it if you get laid off or have a medical emergency or accident.
Where is the "Like" button when I need it?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bushpilot

dear GOD this is whats wrong w/ this country ! Want vs Need & not willing to wait or SAVE for it !
imo anyone thats taking out a loan to mod anything is asking for trouble !

do the math - would you pay 6000 for those same mods if they only cost you 5000 ? thats what youll be doing if you borrow the money (interest on a non secured loan)...by the time you pay off that loan youll likely be TIRED of the jeep & youll certainly have worn out the tires (needing more / new ones).

imo you should only borrow money for completely necessary items (car house etc) or for an EMERGENCY - stop spending every dime, put some money in savings and investments now....while youre employed....you may need it if you get laid off or have a medical emergency or accident.
I personally bust my @$$ to make money that I spend on my wife, pets and me. Being as the govt. took well over $30,000 in taxes from me last year, I feel I am contributing to those in this country that sit on their fat @$$ and strain the already weak economy. I don't "need" anything more than I already have (as far as needs go). Since I pay my taxes, mortgage, student loans, utilities and contribute to society in general, a $5,000 loan isn't too much to ask. On the flip side, I could be a deadbeat who refuses to work because the government pays for housing, food and healthcare for my 5 kids and pregnant girlfriends (plural intentional).
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I put $550 into my Jeep payment extra every month and until I pay it off early. I use $150 a month to mod my Jeep right now. Once its paid off I can use my regular Jeep payment plus the $550 plus the $150 to really start Modding my Jeep.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bought 2000 TJ in 2003 for 14K. Sold in 2010 for 9500. Got good deal on 2010 JKU, sold for good deal in 2012. Bought 2012 JK for decent deal, was able to put down a bunch and hold back some of the equity for mods. So, just built up equity over the years.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Always pay cash no matter how long it takes to save. It's never good to borrow for your toys.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Luck

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Out of curiousity...how did you pay for your mods???