Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Porosity TSB oil leak recall 09-008-07

Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I may have this issue as well. Taking it in on Thursday, hopefully they can fix it on the first try. I'm sure they've seen a few Jeeps with this issue by now
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

dealer just quoted this TSB repair work at $1200 !!! What have others paid to get this TSB done ?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

UPDATE___

Well I've got 53K on my 2008 JK 3.8L.

When I bought it new in '08 had oil leak. Looked like a rear main leak at the time. After SEVERAL times in the dealership shop (more than 6) finally talked to a buddy on this forum (read beginning of this thread). He was a previous Jeep mechanic. He clued me in to his mechanic buddy in Macon.

But my local dealer still didn't get it fixed. Had to prove to them the recall was my issue.

Then they finally fixed it. That was sometime late in 2008.

Fast forward to about 3 oil changes ago. I started to notice I needed to top off between my 5000mi changes at about 1000mi increments.
Didn't think much of it until last oil change.

So I took it in and said, I was wary that the old issue may be back. However, I couldn't see any leaks anywhere I parked. No blue smoke out the tailpipe, either.

So now we are doing the oil consumption test dance. The service manager 'handled' me today. I told him I've already read about the 50K and below = 1000mi./1qt and over 50K = 750mi./1qt. Chrysler "standard".

He wanted me to sign the work order that I acknowledged the "standard". I refused.

He essentially told me I am not qualified for a repair as I have only used 3/4 of a quart in 993 miles.

This is redonkquelous!

Never have I owned- nor heard - of any car having "lost" a quart in 1000 miles! After looking on the 'net I've seen a lot of other folks who also think this is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Maybe another dealer may assist? Just ticks me off royally!

What's your situation? Updates?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down another dead end

So I'm still magically losing oil. My solution so far has been topping it off about every 2 weeks.

So I got notified of the clock spring airbag recall is finally has parts ready. (S33/NHTSA 16V-290) So I called the stealership and was told I'm going on a waitlist.

I've been so P.O.'ed about the last time they told me they wouldn't help with the oil loss, but I've kept in the back of my mind, that I should actually contact Chrysler. So today I did.
Guess what?

She recommended I go to a different dealership.

Yes AND------ the diagnosis won't be free.

Any of you'all having oil loss issues?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

My 2010 is losing oil, but I have no leak that I can find. I'm probably right there at a qt per thousand miles. I've yet to take it in for the run around though
Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trav87
My 2010 is losing oil, but I have no leak that I can find. I'm probably right there at a qt per thousand miles. I've yet to take it in for the run around though
How many miles do you have? Mine eats oil as well but I'm still determining exactly how much
Old 04-29-2021, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Angry Nother update

UPDATE I now have over 130K miles on my JEEP!

A few months ago, I was out in the forest trails and was driving up a steep and long dirt/gravel “road”.

About a mile in I heard “DING-DING-DING-DING!!!” And an error message appeared “HoT OIL!”

So, I pulled over and let the Jeep rest. About an hour later I was going back down the “road” and had to keep my foot on the brake so I wouldn’t go too fast.

After a while I ask my buddy if he farted. But this smell was inhuman!

A bit later a bunch of smoke started billowing out of my fender wells.

He said no, he didn’t fart. But that my brakes were on fire!

So, I didn’t know how muchfarther it was the real county road (that was basically flat)

So, I stopped. But my brakes were very weak. I held it there till some of the smoke lessened. And then I

got to the real road. I was going slow as my brakes were still not functioning right, and I also didn’t want

to use them so they may cool off. (this angered the people behind me)

So a few days later I take it into a different dealership on the other side of town. (I had enough of my original dealership service dept!! (see earlier in this thread))

They checked me out and found my transmission was okay but needed service. So, I paid. I think it was smart despite being overpriced. Plus, I am the OG owner and have the lifetime powertrain warranty, and I didn’t want them to have an excuse to void it.

Once that was squared away, I told him about the engine that was STILL MAGICALLY losing OIL.

I did have some little leak spots in my parking spot, but he agreed that the amount I lose each couple weeks doesn’t account for that much volume lost. (I seem to lose a quart approx. each 2-4 weeks, depending on miles driven)

But he had me do the oil level check dance. (OH GOODY JOY-JOY!!)

I’d come in at 1,000 mile increments they’d document the loss and top it off. By the fourth time he finally agreed that my loss was excessive

So, he was talking about an engine swap as, trying to hunt down the cause would take more effort than its worth.

However, once his tech checked it out, that guy just swapped my front crank pulley and passenger valve cover gaskets.

The manager said I can bring it back at 1,000-mile increments if it is still is losing oil.

Well, I’m close to that 1,000, and even through there are smaller drip spots in my parking spot, my dipstick appears to have almost gone down a quart. So, I’ll be going in and re-doing the oil level dance again!

GoshDurnit!

(Maybe I’ll get a “new” engine after all…..)

Last edited by chuckmel; 04-30-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm sorry that you're still having issues but I'm glad you're retaining that warranty. I'll be going through and freshening up gaskets as soon as they're off backorder and I'm probably up to $600ish in parts, all of which will be covered by a 'new' motor if they go that direction for you....which hopefully they will given the history of how long you've had the issue.

Quick Reply: Porosity TSB oil leak recall 09-008-07