Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Porosity TSB oil leak recall 09-008-07

Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porosity TSB oil leak recall 09-008-07

If you go
here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/tsb-recall-information-2366/

and lookup the tsb for TSB - 3.8L Engine Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity which is tsb 09-008-07

I've got this problem and they've finally swapped the specific part, but I still see an oil drip.. I'm trying to be wait and see if this is just left over residual oil, but it glows in blacklight. see my other post below:

" I’ve been into the stealership 4 times for this. Each time they made the wrong diagnosis [the ones in the tsb 09-008-07]. After [apparently] doing this tsb [new cover] no leaks till two days later. I took it back in and was told it was just residual oil on the clips and lines. They said they cleaned it all out, but two days later there’s that drip again[on the juncture of the the tranny/engine]. They told me it was probably still left over oil-that they currently have dye in my engine and to drive it over the weekend and they will look at it again. I pulled out my own blacklight and the drip glowed. I don’t know for sure if that is a real leak, or if it is old dye from the first couple times??

The lemon law in my state is 4 ‘reasonable’ attempts. I think I’ve been MORE than reasonable. I’ll post back after next week… wish me luck! "

Anyone else have this prob? If so, did it get fixed? How do I know the drip is or isn't still a leaky engine?

any help will be appreciated!

thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup. I had that one. I went in with the TSB in hand and had already diagnosed it myself. After three trips and a mis diagnosis on their part and two oil pans and TWO timing covers later, it was fixed. The oil pan was never leaking. The first timing cover they put on still had the same problem. The second one fixed it and it's never leaked again. You need to insist that they put another cover on it, because all the bad ones are not out of the system. Tell them to call Five Star Dodge in Macon, Georgia and talk to Billy in the body shop parts department. He'll verify it.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 09-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 AM
JK Newbie

I do appreciate the response. It makes me feel like I'm not alone with this. I'll see if my dealership will listen and call the Macon dealer for confirmation.

How long has it been since the last cover was installed?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine leaked around the timing cover and so far it appears I fixed it. I cleaned the oil off real good and I noticed the odd notches on both sides at the bottom rear of the timing cover. Where the timing cover and the oil pan meet. I filled both spots with a small dab of RTV and it appears to be fixed. I can't believe it was that easy. But when you look the the notches I am talking about, they don't look like they belong there. I tried to take some pics but it is directly above the front axle and very hard to see.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

hmm...have not seen a single drip from my timing cover and it's an 07
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by chuckmel
I do appreciate the response. It makes me feel like I'm not alone with this. I'll see if my dealership will listen and call the Macon dealer for confirmation.

How long has it been since the last cover was installed?

Thanks!

Sorry I missed your question. Here is my original thread about it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/what-does-take-36766/

The dates pretty much correlate with the posts. Let me know if they have any trouble verifying it. I'll call Billy myself.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
hmm...have not seen a single drip from my timing cover and it's an 07
That's good. It didn't affect them all. I reckon Juan had a little too much Tequila when he was castin them timin covers.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed this leak today, at first I though it was the front dif, we wheeled hard a couple of weeks ago.

My problem is going to be I have 38k on the Jeep.

Maybe I will take it off and put sealant on it.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsp
I just noticed this leak today, at first I though it was the front dif, we wheeled hard a couple of weeks ago.

My problem is going to be I have 38k on the Jeep.

Maybe I will take it off and put sealant on it.
Don't take it off. I would try and just seal it like I did on mine. It doesn't appear to be leaking at all now. At the lower back corners of the cover where it meets the oil pan there was a notch cut in the cover on mine. I cleaned the oil out and put a dab of silicon on mine there and no leaks so far. Mine looked like it was leaking from the crankshaft seal. It would be dripping off the filter after just a few days every time I cleaned it. Its been almost a month now and I drive 70 miles a day to work and its been leak free so far.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Yup. I had that one. I went in with the TSB in hand and had already diagnosed it myself. After three trips and a mis diagnosis on their part and two oil pans and TWO timing covers later, it was fixed. The oil pan was never leaking. The first timing cover they put on still had the same problem. The second one fixed it and it's never leaked again. You need to insist that they put another cover on it, because all the bad ones are not out of the system. Tell them to call Five Star Dodge in Macon, Georgia and talk to Billy in the body shop parts department. He'll verify it.
I did the exact same thing. They fixed it the first time and did a good job installing the new cover. Quirk Jeep in Bangor, Maine.

Quick Reply: Porosity TSB oil leak recall 09-008-07