Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Possible JK owner again

Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible JK owner again

I've owned a TJ and a JK. I sold my 2010 jk to get my 04 cobra. Life has changed and my commute went from 14 to 60 miles a day. I've been looking at JKs again.

I'm looking at 2 door hard tops. Are there any issues with the 14? I have searched the web and it seems recall free. Also how many people are pulling long commutes in them.

Also debating between 2. A pretty well loaded sport or a similar freedom package. Will the freedom package affect resale at all?

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let me tell you...

Bro, I sold my 2010 JKUR for a 2011 GTI. While I was off doing Army things, I bought my new wife a 2008 2 door sport. She had wanted one her whole life, and I couldn't talk her out of it. Now we are in Germany, and the '08 stayed with her dad. I just traded my 2011 GTI for a 2014 JKURX. Let me tell you.... The memories I have of spending tons of time on the forums while I was over seas, and getting to drive my '10 ate me up for 3 years. So many good memories. This 2014 model fixes every single little thing that was bad about a JK in 2010. The new engine, the new seats, the 5 speed, it's great. It has made me completely happy. I made a 350 mile trip from north Germany, to south Germany, over all the hills, doing 75 MPH and consistantly averaged 18 MPG. That's a whopping improvement on the '10 Rubicon I had. I say if you're thinking about it, do it. I am so happy I switched back.

On top of that, we have one at home, so neither my wife or I will be Jeepless when my tour is over! Good luck, I can't say anything bad about this 2014!

Edit: I would also like to note that when I was debating whether to trade my GTI or the Jeep at home, I found that the '08 with 35,000 miles on it is still worth 20,000. I only paid about 2,000 more than that out the door in 2012. Jeeps hold their value very well!

Last edited by brickybobby; 05-21-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember when I sold my 10 and 04 I did well. I still have 3 years to pay on the cobra. When it's done it will be 14. I can start over with a new jeep and when it's paid off it will either be only 4 or 6 years old.

I really had no complaints about my 10, other than my brother getting the nicer interior with an 11. Honestly I like the jeep and my cobra. Ideally I'd own both. Not an option at this point.

It is debate about spending money to maintance an old car or start modding another jeep.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't recommend a Jeep as a commuter. I love my Jeep and it's very good for its intended purpose which is being an adventure/trail machine but it leaves a lot to be desired as a commuter vehicle. It's just not built for that kind of use, especially if you have some minimal mods like I do, 33" tires.

My commute went from 40 miles daily to 80 miles daily at much faster speeds and much more elevation gain and loss and after about 2 months in, I said I just can't do this anymore. I went for the extra-cost option of buying a second vehicle so I can enjoy the Jeep in the way that it makes me happy and is built for, and have a car for the everyday pounding of a long freeway commute to the office. The Jeep occasionally comes to work with me on sunny days (topless) or snowy days (4x4) and while I love it, I'm glad it doesn't have to come with me every day.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

I love mine, but my current commute of 30 miles to work in DC traffic is the max I could handle.

If I was driving 100 miles a day I would have already sold it. The money spent each month in gas would almost pay for a beater.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the jeep would be alright for me. Heck I do it in a supercharged mustang. Even going jeep would lower my gas bill. I will do the upgrades and am debating between a sport and freedom. Would go freedom solely for the 3.73s because bigger tires would happen.

Only thing they don't have is the alpine system which I wanted.

Logic says buy a focus, but can't be that logical. I'm hoping for a new job and ideally lower my commute or get a company car.

I was going to pull the trigger yesterday, but since there are no deals on jeeps maybe wait till 15s are out and save a little more......

Also, I've never owned a 4 door, but like the 2 door. I'm single with no kids so beyond surfboards and tow capacity don't think I need a 4 door jeep.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MADDOGsrfr81
I think the jeep would be alright for me. Heck I do it in a supercharged mustang. Even going jeep would lower my gas bill. I will do the upgrades and am debating between a sport and freedom. Would go freedom solely for the 3.73s because bigger tires would happen. Only thing they don't have is the alpine system which I wanted. Logic says buy a focus, but can't be that logical. I'm hoping for a new job and ideally lower my commute or get a company car. I was going to pull the trigger yesterday, but since there are no deals on jeeps maybe wait till 15s are out and save a little more...... Also, I've never owned a 4 door, but like the 2 door. I'm single with no kids so beyond surfboards and tow capacity don't think I need a 4 door jeep.
Last time i checked, the freedom edition comes with 3.21 gears and option for 3.73s just like a regular sport. Only one with standard 3.73s is a willys and a rubi with auto trans.
Also, test drive both 2 and 4 door. For a long commute you may want the 4 door for better highway stability and ride. Although if the commute is mostly city driving the 2 door would probably be more fun and a little better in gas.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the two jeeps I'm comparing the freedom has the 3.73. All the sports are 3.21.

I think 2 door is fine. Heck I used to do a similar commute in a TJ. The most comfortable vehicle I've owned is my cobra. It's always a wrangler or mustang. 3 and 3 at this point. It's an all highway commute the 4 door is more stable, but a 2 door is more jeep.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I'm leaving a 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS to go to a Rubicon X as soon as it gets built and delivered. Previous to the Camaro, I had a Jeep Patriot. Previous to that, a 2001 Camaro. See a pattern here?

Someone had started a thread inquiring if they should get a dog, because all Jeep owners seem to have them. I'm doing the opposite, I am getting a Jeep because I have a dog. I am tired of not being able to bring her with me when I go places, as a Camaro doesn't have room. I loved my Jeep Patriot, but always wanted something to take off-roading, that can go anywhere... and is Zombie Apocalypse approved. Just kidding...

I do live in Florida however, and was here in 2004 when we had a trifecta of hurricanes come ripping through in one month, leaving all kinds of crap all over the roads. I had my Camaro, and guess what... I couldn't even get out of my driveway. I need to be able to get to my parents to help them if need be in such an event, and I know a Jeep will get it done. I work from home, so I don't have a commute. And even if I did, I've always chosen to live close to where I work so I can come home for lunch to take the dog out. Not that I don't think a Jeep can do long commutes.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Not sure what the exchange rate is though, being I'm a bit new here.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I understand this totally. I have a dog and parrot. Also surfboards, paddle boards and a mountain bike. I recently bought an inflatable paddle board so I can use it more than behind my apartment. Also, I recently moved to St Pete fl and this area floods a lot.

With out a doubt the jeep will be 1000 times more useful. Hard part is increasing debt and giving up a clean rare vehicle.

I won't lie the sound of a supercharger can fix a bad day. Of course I remember the jeep had a similar feeling with doors and top down. I'm still unsure how the hardtop will affect the jeep experience, but it will make it much more useful due to being able to leave stuff in it.

Quick Reply: Possible JK owner again