Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Pros and Cons of Independent suspension

Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202
haha then they woud be much more comfortable in a Ford Raptor, no offense.

Raptor= IFS, built for desert and has power and speed
IFS JK- IFS, built for desert, lacks power for going thru the desert at speed
Like I said option and no way can you compare a raptor to a jk , well unless you put a v8 in it and that is a still maybe

But I still think it would be a good option and it would open up the buying field even more and put more jeeps on the road
Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Like I said option and no way can you compare a raptor to a jk , well unless you put a v8 in it and that is a still maybe

But I still think it would be a good option and it would open up the buying field even more and put more jeeps on the road
haha i know what ya mean
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Forget the Hurrican post, just watched a video on another thread.... that is not what I am looking for. Wow, that thing is dated!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
... I was just wondering why it is so taboo to consider IFS? ...
Because IFS can't articulate. Articulation is very important when on uneven terrain--it's what keeps you from rolling over because you ended up balanced on two tires instead of four, or briefly three, in contact with very uneven terrain.

Watch. The only thing that saves this Hummer is he's super wide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgYcnJnsc7k Now watch the Jeep. Articulation: It keeps you safe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmclIQuqDgo
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Because IFS can't articulate. Articulation is very important when on uneven terrain--it's what keeps you from rolling over because you ended up balanced on two tires instead of four, or briefly three, in contact with very uneven terrain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgYcnJnsc7k Now watch the Jeep. Articulation: It keeps you safe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmclIQuqDgo
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't ask the question to be a smart a$$, I asked because I don't have alot of experience offroad.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
I live in Iowa, not alot of mountains to climb. I drive mostly trails to fishing holes. I love my Jeep, I'm not buying anything else.... I was just wondering why it is so taboo to consider IFS? Are there Performance shops that would do a conversion?
Brenthel Industries designed an IFS conversion for a company that went out of business. Might want to contact them but it wasnt cheap, required a 10" wider WMS to WMS set up and was only a single coilover up front (cant run a bypass and coilover).
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the fairest comparison. There are plenty of videos of IFS Tacomas and FJs doing the Golden Crack as easily as the JK in the video...
Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Not the fairest comparison. There are plenty of videos of IFS Tacomas and FJs doing the Golden Crack as easily as the JK in the video...
Yes, call me guilty of selecting a dramatic comparison. Here's a Tacoma ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbmsqSJcz8
Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, call me guilty of selecting a dramatic comparison. Here's a Tacoma ...

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbmsqSJcz8
Haha Comparing anything to a JK in this department really isn't fair
Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
I found this with a quick search of RTI comparison numbers. It is a bit dated and doesn't include the Tacoma, but it reinforces my point ...

Ramp Travel Indexes tests for various stock vehicles:

1991 Honda civic hatch back (factory stock): 319 - (just for a refference point)

1997 Jeep Wrangler (factory stock): 607

2002 Jeep Cherokee (factory stock): 575 (approximate)

2007 Toyota FJ cruiser (factory stock): 491

Although the FJC’s RTI numbers put it in second last place out of the four listed, we have to remember that it has IFS and the two Jeeps were designed with stock axles. That being said, 491 is pretty respectable for a vehicle with IFS. You probably wont see too many stock IFS SUVs that will score higher than this.

However the really depressing thing for the diehard FJ cruiser fans is when you compare it to the 2007 Wrangler’s RTI figures:

Driving right off the dealer’s lot the 2007 wrangler will give an RTI of 652 (with the sway bar). If you hit the sway bar disconnect button on the dash, it will pull a whopping 832 RTI! This is on a completely stock Jeep!

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Independent suspension