Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rain Covers

Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hard top only. I don't plan on taking it off and then back on a lot when summer comes, so the trail covers seems like a good bet for me to be able to leave the hard top off for extended periods of time. I work 12hr shifts, so the chances of rain or at least a little shower from day to day while at work are pretty good. I'm just looking to cover the open areas from rain and/or 12hrs of sun and dust. That's my purpose anyway...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Are they more conveinent than putting the soft top up? I guess if you wanted to protect the jeep in the summer, but not have the soft top on, this would be the way to do it? I just don't totally get the purpose of them. I have only had my jeep for a few weeks and its the middle of winter... so obviously I'm a bit inept
Well it is betwen 60-70 every day so it is top off weather here in Phoenix.

I do not have a soft top yet so I can not comment on the difference for putting them off and on, but I will tell you that the cover is fairly quick. <5min.

The other good thing about the cover is that you can not see in it, like you can with a soft top so outta sitght out of mind
Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't look like there is much room in the back. Can the cover be used with the soft top folded down?

Are they more conveinent than putting the soft top up? I just don't totally get the purpose of them.
It's gotta be faster. Toss the cover over and strap it down.
With the softtop, you'd have to put the windows back on, clip the back and sides down and then fasten the front header.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone may have mentioned this, but it looks like the Bestop cover can't be used with the doors on (no mirror slots).
If the Bestop is the only "true" waterproof top I'd want that, but not if that's the case
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok here is my I have the Bestop cover and it is very nice. Heavy material and so far it has been water proof! It has been rained on many times(Texas Gulf Coast) and not leaked at all. It does fit tight and will not fit as designed with the softop attached. I have however used it with the softop down when a storm came in quick, you just can't secure it very well in the rear. It will also work with the doors on! Turn your mirrors in and your good to go. It also covers the entire door opening front and rear on the Unlimited! Money well spent IMHO.

Last edited by RubiRascal; 03-17-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smuhhh
....I just don't totally get the purpose of them. I have only had my jeep for a few weeks and its the middle of winter... so obviously I'm a bit inept
My issue is that I work 20 miles away from home. When I leave with the top and doors off, the soft top will keep most rain out but in the case of a toad strangler I needed something that covers the doors as well. If it's still raining on my way home I'll just have to tough it out with soft top only. No biggie.

Originally Posted by neoxxis
Good thread!
I am buying one in the next weeks and I too was hesitating...
Was looking into this one: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_0209_07.htm
That's the one I got. The picture is posted in post #1.

Quick Reply: Rain Covers