Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rough Country Disconnects

Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Disconnects

So I ordered these disconnects (2 sets, 1 for a friend and one for mylself) along with my lift and they arrived, no problem. After I installed the lift I took the disconnects out and discovered that the holes in the end links were too small to fit the pin thru. Holes in the center tube were fine. So I called RC, talked to Ryan and asked them to send me new end links with the holes slightly larger. Ryan sent a whole new set of Quick-Disc's. Great. Problem was, nothing was changed. End link holes were still too small. So I called Ryan again who suggested I drill them out. Not sure he quite understands that when I buy something I'd like it to work. Any way, so he said they'd ship new ones. Waited almost two weeks, heard nothing, called and talked to Jeffrey. Jeffrey was unaware of any problems with the disconnects, said he would send me new ones. New set came - but only one set. I still needed my buddies. So now the end link holes were fixed, but one was completely missing the bushing. So I called again. They send me a bunch of end links with the worst powder coating job. It's all chipping off, exposing the bare metal. Honestly, if they can't get the quick disconnects right I'm a little leary about buying any further equipment from them. I know people rave about these guys, but I think I'm done. Just thought I'd share that story for anyone on the fence.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I had to drill out mine. Exact same condition as yours, but I didn't even try to have them correct it. I just made the pins fit. I didn't want to wait.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...les#post870326

Also, I've only had my lift installed for less than a couple months, but I already have rust on the rod of the shock.
I sent a pic of the rust to Rough Country, but no response yet.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teraflex. I love their discos. I had them on my TJ, and like the JK ones even more. No drilling into the frame on the jk ones. The JKS adj. disco is popular also.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I had to drill out mine. Exact same condition as yours, but I didn't even try to have them correct it. I just made the pins fit. I didn't want to wait.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...les#post870326

Also, I've only had my lift installed for less than a couple months, but I already have rust on the rod of the shock.
I sent a pic of the rust to Rough Country, but no response yet.

Boy, that sucks! I considered drilling mine out but I didn't want to destroy the powder coat and have the things corrode on me from the get-go. Yeah... I think I'm done
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

My friend has the same experience
He ordered the quicks discos directly from RC
He received only the 4 links end (no bolt and no bushing)
One week later he received the missing parts, but the holes of the links are too small.
He is still waitings for the new links with "normal" holes
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just drilled mine out. I understand the point that you want them to work when you buy them, but keep in mind these are less than half the price of comparable options. Is it really that big of a deal to open the holes up a bit? Took me all of 30 seconds to do.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spec24
So I ordered these disconnects (2 sets, 1 for a friend and one for mylself) along with my lift and they arrived, no problem. After I installed the lift I took the disconnects out and discovered that the holes in the end links were too small to fit the pin thru. Holes in the center tube were fine. So I called RC, talked to Ryan and asked them to send me new end links with the holes slightly larger. Ryan sent a whole new set of Quick-Disc's. Great. Problem was, nothing was changed. End link holes were still too small. So I called Ryan again who suggested I drill them out. Not sure he quite understands that when I buy something I'd like it to work. Any way, so he said they'd ship new ones. Waited almost two weeks, heard nothing, called and talked to Jeffrey. Jeffrey was unaware of any problems with the disconnects, said he would send me new ones. New set came - but only one set. I still needed my buddies. So now the end link holes were fixed, but one was completely missing the bushing. So I called again. They send me a bunch of end links with the worst powder coating job. It's all chipping off, exposing the bare metal. Honestly, if they can't get the quick disconnects right I'm a little leary about buying any further equipment from them. I know people rave about these guys, but I think I'm done. Just thought I'd share that story for anyone on the fence.

Hmmm, let us know how you progress. I have RC disconnects along with a coil/shock 2.5" boost waiting to be installed next week. I hope I didn't make a mistake going for RC parts.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ESPMike
I just drilled mine out. I understand the point that you want them to work when you buy them, but keep in mind these are less than half the price of comparable options. Is it really that big of a deal to open the holes up a bit? Took me all of 30 seconds to do.

True, but that's not my fault. You pay for something, you expect it to be correct, whether or not it was at a good price. I wouldn't have expected to buy their suspension and not have the shocks fit. I also don't have a powder coat facility to re-powder coat them after I drill them out. I'd at least like them to last through the winter before they totally corrode (new england uses a bit of salt on the roads). What cracks me up is the amount of times I've had to call them to resolve this. Something as simple as a hole, which everyone seems to have a problem with, should have been taken care of the first phone call.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like I said I understand your point, I just felt with mine it was a pretty minor thing. Many modification may require some improvisation on the installers part, just the nature of these things. I don't think you can compare a hitch pin hole to shocks not fitting though, that is a bit of a stretch.

Torrin, I am running the same setup and don't worry you didn't make a mistake. Many people here are runnning the exact same setup and are very satisifed. RC has a great reputation for their customer service that they have justly earned.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ESPMike
Like I said I understand your point, I just felt with mine it was a pretty minor thing. Many modification may require some improvisation on the installers part, just the nature of these things. I don't think you can compare a hitch pin hole to shocks not fitting though, that is a bit of a stretch.

Torrin, I am running the same setup and don't worry you didn't make a mistake. Many people here are runnning the exact same setup and are very satisifed. RC has a great reputation for their customer service that they have justly earned.
The way I see it is this is just a quick disconnect. It's a simple mechanical assembly, and the problem is a simple hole...and if this type of thing is overlooked and not corrected then it gives me pause about buying anything in the future from them. And you're right, drilling it out is not really a big problem, powder coating it is.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Disconnects