JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Salesman just P'Od me big time (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/salesman-just-pod-me-big-time-19492/)

James76 11-02-2007 03:36 PM

I do not understand how it is technically my responsibility to pay the money when i signed one document in belief that i owed nothing and a 2nd upon receiving the keys that specifically stated i owed $0.00 due n/a I mean the mistake was made by the finance manager as far as i can tell...:thinking: Plus the whole not catching the mistake withing what i am told is the legal limit (7 days) for such mistakes to be corrected or at lease caught and brought to light :hmm:

pezeveng319 11-02-2007 04:19 PM

It sounds like someone made a mistake in not collecting the $500...usually the final line total is what you owe - since salesman write everything all over the paper - and if that stated you owed $500 and didnt pay then i guess they're right. But I dont understand how they would give you the keys if you hadnt payed the $500. Seems like a very disorganized dealer with a lot of incompetent people. Either way its 2 months down the line and thats way past any correction timetable so don't pay them for their own mistakes.

08UnlimitedSahara810 11-02-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by James76 (Post 223557)
I do not understand how it is technically my responsibility to pay the money when i signed one document in belief that i owed nothing and a 2nd upon receiving the keys that specifically stated i owed $0.00 due n/a I mean the mistake was made by the finance manager as far as i can tell...:thinking: Plus the whole not catching the mistake withing what i am told is the legal limit (7 days) for such mistakes to be corrected or at lease caught and brought to light :hmm:

I misread your previous entry. I thought you had agreed to put the money down to lower the payment. I really do not think that $500 would make a big deal to the bank unless it put you at less than 100% of MSRP or if they would only finance a certain percentage of MSRP and the $500 would put you there.

Anyways, the bank has cashed the contract meaning the dealer has been paid for the vehicle. At this point, the $500 would be owed to the dealer if that was your agreement. Seeing as how the finance manager did not ask for it and gave you other options with and without the money, then it was not a requirement from the bank. That may have been discussed in negotiations for an approval but did not ultimately affect the transaction.

The real picture here is that you own your Jeep, the contract has been cashed and the deal is done. Typically the "We Owe" slip in the deal is only good for 30 days after the transaction occurs. It should say it right on the slip. You do not owe the dealer anything.

I would calmly call or visit your salesperson or sales manager and explain to them the whole picture. If they do not comply, then contact the General Manager of the dealership. After these phone calls occur, they will probably ust absorb the money and it will all be over. If they really feel that it is validly owed to them they may try to take you to small claims court over it. I sincerely doubt this would go that far. If it goes to court you have two things going for you... the documents are very vague and everyone hated car dealers. You will not have to pay a penny of the $500.

James76 11-02-2007 05:01 PM

It will not go to small claims court because i do not have time to take off work to deal with it, so if i have no choice but to pay i will, and i will kindly remind them that they will be losing alot more than they are gaining what with all of the $ i plan on spending at both their service department and parts departments. Hell they can make the $500 back by selling me a hard top :yup: I will mention the mopar lift kit and how i was gonna have their service dept install it :bleh:

Phishjeep 11-02-2007 05:44 PM

Don't pay.

Wal into the dealer on their busiest day and calmly explain in a very loud voice that they are trying to swindle you. Make sure every customer hears you. After they're paying attention, and when the salesman starts to protest. calmly say "Bait and Switch?" in the loudest non yelling voice you have (practice ahead of time). Remember to remain calm but loud. As soon as you lose your temper, you lose your higher ground. If you can do the whole thing in a deep southern drawl, you get bonus points for style.

tgrt 11-02-2007 05:47 PM

Wow. Small claims court doesn't take too long. You must have a really high paying job if you'd give in to $500 instead of going.

James76 11-02-2007 05:56 PM

Actually you have that backwards :yup: I dont get paid a whole lot and if i miss even a day it puts me in a bind :eek2: :sigh:

08UnlimitedSahara810 11-02-2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by James76 (Post 223636)
It will not go to small claims court because i do not have time to take off work to deal with it, so if i have no choice but to pay i will, and i will kindly remind them that they will be losing alot more than they are gaining what with all of the $ i plan on spending at both their service department and parts departments. Hell they can make the $500 back by selling me a hard top :yup: I will mention the mopar lift kit and how i was gonna have their service dept install it :bleh:

I really do not think that you wil end up in court. I said that as a last sitch effort to the dealer. Be confident, be firm and talk it out with them. But whatever you do, do not lay down and pay!

Conradfreedumb 11-02-2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by josh1899 (Post 223403)
Wasn't this your comment in the "leasing" thread: "Put $500 down (which they later forgot to collect )". It looks like you did mean to put the $500 down, and they did remember! I'm not sure if you owe them the money this late or not, but if you DID intend to put the money down, and tried to back out, that's not cool. Carma is a bitch!:sad2:

No Karma is a bitch...

08UnlimitedSahara810 11-02-2007 06:08 PM

On the other hand... if your gut tells you that the right thing to do is pay the money or if you fel deep down that you do owe the money then you have a chice to make.

That is only something you can decide what the right thing to do is.

Technically though, I think you are okay.