Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I trade my 2 dr for a 4 dr?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently traded in my 07 Sahara 2D for a 08 Rubicon 4D because my wife is due in January with our first kid.

I have no regrets as of yet.
There's so much more room, people can actually get into the back seats, I can keep all of my tools in the back without having to take everything out when going shopping, and getting a car seat in the back is easy!
Getting a car seat in the back of the 2D was a pain in the ass.

I haven't been able to go wheeling in my 4D yet, but I've wheeled with other 4D before and they had no problem doing anything I could do in my 2D.
With the longer wheel base they just had more of a problem getting through tight spots, but still did it with ease. I don't think you'll be disappointed with getting a 4D.

2D Sahara -

4D Rubicon -

Last edited by Abacabb; 12-25-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you are lookin for a 4 door jeep i got a 2010 jku rubicon for sale
Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More often than not I miss my 2dr since getting a 4dr. If I had it to do all over again I would stay with the 2dr and when I get another Jeep it will be a 2dr.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i made the leap--

i had a nicely done up 2008 2 door, but after a while it was a PITA getting our 3 year old in and out of the back. on black friday i got a really good deal on a 2011 unlimited and now really love it. i can get our little one in and out in a snap, and have room in the back to make a home depot run, include a case of beer. brown santa brought me a lift and tires for christmas, so i get a chance to rebuild it. i look back and miss my 2 door, but like my wife said, this is a purchase for teh family.

do it..
Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Get both.

The 2 door is lighter weight. The 4 door carries more stuff. They both go all over the places you wouldn't get to without them. I have both and drive both. My 16 year old has eyes on the two door, lucky for him that's the plan. Then I'll need another one. You know what I really hate, the resale value. It's tough to find a used one at a low price because they hold value.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went from a yj wrangler to jku. Never regreted it. More room for fam stuff and for gear on the trail. As far as capability your gonna hear arguments both ways so ill say this. A good driver can take a semi truck places you couldn't get a ford festiva. Its not so much size but how you wheel it that will her you where you want to go.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I can understand a skill level type of thinking. I understand there are going to be trade offs, I just want them to be in my favor. I looked at a couple today, but the dealer was closed. They definitely wont be getting my business as I'll probably buy from someone on the forum, but I want to see where the trade offs are going to be. Please, if you have some more input or a different slight on the matter, let me know.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

I have the two door simply because I do not need the extra room. I got rid of my back seat and now there is just enough room for tons of crap if i go wheeling or head off into the mountains for an extended period of time.

If i did have an addition to the family on the way, the 4 dr would definitely seem like a good option. But i would still keep the two door for the trails
Old 12-26-2010, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I guess I am pretty muchly sold. I guess I am 'upgrading' to an Unlimited. Now I just need to find someone to buy mine.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No1AP
We added to our family a little while ago. The wife back in the day, tried to get me to get a 4 dr, and now I am contemplating it. I have a fair amount of mods on my 2 door, but nothing I can't transfer over to a 4 door, considering the lift was meant for a 4 door. I guess I just want to ask a few questions to those that have gone from a 2 door to a 4 door.

Are you glad you did it, or do you regret it?

Was the difference in turning radius bearable?

Is it harder to wheel a JKU after having been in a 2 dr?

I know I have other questions, I just won't think of them for a while. I see some advantages off road. But I also see some disadvantages. I know there is a thread that answers a couple of these questions, but can't for the life of me find it. But for the other questions, let me know what you think.

Thanks
I LOVE MY 4 DOOR LIKE I TOLD MY FRIEND SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A 4 DOOR BUT THEN AGAIN ITS WHICH COULD AFFORD AT THE TIME

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 2 dr for a 4 dr?