Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I trade my 2 dr for a 4 dr?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade my 2 dr for a 4 dr?

We added to our family a little while ago. The wife back in the day, tried to get me to get a 4 dr, and now I am contemplating it. I have a fair amount of mods on my 2 door, but nothing I can't transfer over to a 4 door, considering the lift was meant for a 4 door. I guess I just want to ask a few questions to those that have gone from a 2 door to a 4 door.

Are you glad you did it, or do you regret it?

Was the difference in turning radius bearable?

Is it harder to wheel a JKU after having been in a 2 dr?

I know I have other questions, I just won't think of them for a while. I see some advantages off road. But I also see some disadvantages. I know there is a thread that answers a couple of these questions, but can't for the life of me find it. But for the other questions, let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so it's kindof gay that I am my first post, but whatever. I found the thread. It's a poll on 4 doors vs 2 doors. It seems like most everybodys response is just for the extra room. Not a whole lot on wheeling. I guess a better way of putting it is there are no objective statements on the matter. I understand that alot of this is all up to a persons perpective and personal preference. All I am looking for is some non biased info. I like the look of them when they are big, and it would be great to take a week or two and travel with the family without hauling a trailer to get everything loaded. C'mon! Hook a brother up!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Me and all my friends have 2 doors so sorry i cant say from personal experience. But ive seen plenty of 4 doors on threads and videos doing the same thing as the 2 doors. Sometimes doing them a little easier. Eventually I plan on getting a 4 door as well, i just dont want to get rid of the 2 door to do it.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Been there done that. 2010 2 door and a 2011 4 door.......note the years......first came the 2 door and then 1 year later.......

Last edited by RKracing; 12-25-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Youre just one of those guys that has to one up people arent you
Old 12-25-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the 4 door. We have a WK and and the 4dr JK. That means we can take whatever one we want to the mall and fit all the baby junk! I'm not the most intense offroad guy you'll find, but the 4dr is great for family life! We used to pull the doors off the front and freedom top panels while the little one was covered and protected in the back..

I don't think you'll regret it, especially since you can just transfer the mods to it... Family first, then fun!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I've thought of the family, but we have our family vehicle/tow rig, gets better mileage than the JK. When I have wheeled though, it's been some pretty crazy stuff. I wish I had pictures of this rock face that my buddy and I climbed once. I just haven't been out with anybody in a 4dr, so I'm a bit leary. I've seen the stuff on YouTube posted by WOL, but I haven't and don't know when I'd ever be able to run that type of terrain. For the foreseeable future, I am stuck in dirt, mud and the like out in Alabama and soon to be Tennessee. With all the trees and the tight nature of the trails I've been on, a 2 dr was the way to go. I can only imagine that a longer wheel base would make those same trails a lot harder to navigate. I don't know, maybe I can go out with someone that has a JKU and watch.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

My girlfriend and I bought our 2 dr in July and I didn't even take a look at the 4 dr I wasn't interested in it at all. This was just going to be a shared winter daily and her summer car.

Fast forward a few months... totally regret not getting the 4 dr I don't think we'd ever trade ours in for a 4DR thoough, deprecation when purchasing a new car is a bitch.

I was recently in a buddy's gfs 4 dr and the back seat is actually useful! (don't interpet that the wrong way!) You might aswell remove the rear seat in the 2 dr as it's next to useless.

Last edited by p1llar; 12-25-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 4 door after having many 2 door jeeps and never once regreted having a slightly wider turning radius or different break over angle comparitively.

Off-road it's a wash IMO. On trails that I used to worry about rolling end-over in my 2 door jeeps, or having serious pucker factor off-camber, the 4 door handles those obstacles better. However, in PA we have lots of trees, so turning between tightly grouped trees is more difficult in the 4 door, but it just requires more thinking ahead and it's not enough to cause me to give up the added room and better foul weather handling in snow and rain. The longer wheel-base let's you drive slippery M/Ts a little more forgivingly than the 2 doors.

The biggest thing that I miss about my 2 door jeeps was being able to have my hard tops stored in front of my jeeps inside the garage. I have to store my 4 door top outside when it's off.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Lui
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure this corvette is more family functional, but it loses something when you stretch it out and add a couple doors.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 2 dr for a 4 dr?