Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Snow covering LED lights

Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow covering LED lights

I have LED headlights, fog lights and light bar. Got caught in an unexpected problem driving over the pass in Washington in a snow storm. Because the lights don't create any heat the snow doesn't naturally melt and the heavy snowfall covered ALL my lights in mere minutes. I had to pull over every 5 to 10 minutes to wipe off the lights to see where i was driving. How have others solved this problem? I am looking at the new Rigid 2x2 lights that shoot light sideways on the A-Pillars since they don't have a bevel to trap the snow. Not sure if that will work. Other option is after market headlight washers??? Any solutions?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

You might try a de-icer. Try spraying it on before you go somewhere and see how it works.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the exact reason I didn't buy LED's here since I'm in the north east and there are very few on the market that are heated or at least for what I am willing to pay. I don't know if it will work but you may also try RainX.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Truck-Lite HEATED LED headlights. for this reason right here, for the 2 times it snows in NC, i will be ready!!! lol
Old 01-03-2017, 11:16 PM
JK Newbie

Huh.... I didn't think about this. But then again It rarely snows and piles up like that in SC.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the Truck-Lite Heated headlights. Installed some before the Michigan winter and they seem to be working well. They are warm to the touch after a cold drive into work; no hot, but definitely noticeable.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you!

I knew this group would come to the rescue. Didn't even know there were heated LED's and de-icer is brilliant. I'll start there as like NC, we rarely get snow so i know exactly when i am driving into it when going skiing. I'll post results next time i head up the pass. If it doesn't work, i'll switch out to the Truck-Lite Heated.

Thank you!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You'd think some other manufacturers would have picked up on this and started incorporating a heating element, but I think Truck-Lite is still the only one doing it. I'm glad we don't get much snow or ice here in the DFW area for this very reason. I've yet to run in to this problem with my JW Speakers, but I presume I will at some point as I make various trips up to see relatives in Colorado.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Only one i can find; Truck Lite 27275C - $285

Here is a link to the only heated 7" headlights i can find. I searched and found nothing and Truck Lite claims they are the only ones made. Model 27275C is $285 on Amazon.

Truck Lite link:
7" Round LED, 2 Diode Headlight, Polycarbonate Lens, Aluminum, Heated Lens, 12-24V | Truck-Lite

Amazon link:
https://smile.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-...dlights+27275C
Old 01-05-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

+1 that Truck Lite is the only brand I know of that makes the heated ones. Would love to see some more...

Quick Reply: Snow covering LED lights