Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Some Newbie Questions

Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Newbie Questions

Sorry, guys . . . I tried looking these items up with the search feature, and they probably have been covered before somewhere, so please accept my apologies . . . and please let me know if I have posted this in the correct Forum.

These are probably "stupid" questions, but I thought I would ask anyway. I have a 2012 Sahara 2 door.

1) Could someone please tell me what that black "staple-like" thing is
in the middle of the hood? Is it to hold the hood up somehow? Or is to attach some kind of accessory, etc?

2) The two black rubber plugs on either side are to prevent the hood from damaging the windshield, right?

3) I have read thru the "User's Guide" (still waiting for an Owner's Manual) but it doesn't explain completely what that "Eco on" message means. Any explanation about this? When it comes on, it's supposed to mean I'm not driving in an "economical" fashion? (accelerating too quickly, etc)?

Thanks very much for your help . . . I'll keep reading through all your posts, and eventually start to understand how all this stuff works.

I really love my new Jeep!

All best,
Joe

Last edited by Jersey Joe; 11-10-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Could be wrong as I'm a Newb also but I believe it all has to do with folding the windshield down though I don't think many people do it because of how many bolts have to be taken out and how it might be installed back incorrectly

Last edited by Cuse5; 11-10-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

I can help with 1 & 2...

(1) It is a tie down for the windshield when you fold it forward, you'll notice there is also one on the inside of the windshield above the rear view mirror. You strap the one to the other... My TJ came with the strap, but my JK didn't.

(2) Yes, they are rests for the windshield when folded fwd.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

The last point....ECO on, I believe, is an indicator that you are driving in a conservative manner. Allowing you to get the best gas milage from your Wrangler.
Try driving like you always do, and the ECO on light should be on, then drive it like you stole it, the light should go out.
My 2 cents.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

first 2 are answered perfectly......but in order to put the w/shield down....you have to unbolt the wipers, amd the side reinforcements.....takes too long....

the eco light comes on when you are coasting and not full throtte...I have a 6spd. and it comes on when I am coasting in 3,4,5&6....if you look @ the speedo....it will come on anytime you are in the green bqnd....btwn 1200-2600rpm's
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

and yes.....it is not mentioned anywhere in the manual....salesmen @ the dealer didn't even know about it....lets hope the service department does!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks so much for your replies, guys!

I asked my salesman about these things, and he wasn't quite sure . . . he said the "staple" thing was to hold the hood up. (??)

(I took this to mean if you wanted to raise the hood up higher than the height at which it normally is when using the built-in prop).

My salesman was very friendly and polite, and he worked with me for quite some time, test driving different vehicles, etc. but I don't think that ANY salesman knows as much as they SHOULD about the vehicles that they sell. No insult intended.

Anyway, once I get the "Owners Manual" (should be coming along any day now, right?), I'll be studying it thoroughly!

Thanks again for your helpful replies! I know I'm in the right place here!

All best,
Joe
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to your Jeep!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Some jeeps have a HI-Lift Jack mounting on the hood at this location...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Owner's manual is available here in PDF format. Make sure you check your printed version on the back that it is the most recent (3rd edition online as of now).

hxxp://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

Quick Reply: Some Newbie Questions