Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thinking of selling JKU for an LJ...

Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling JKU for an LJ...

I currently have a 2010 JKU Rubicon. Thinking of downsizing a little for a LJ. On one hand Ill loose a little cargo room and it wont be as easy to get the kids in and out of the rear seat. On the plus side, I think it would be easier to go topless/doorless with only two doors like when I had my YJ.

Looking for some opinions...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take the front 2 doors off on your JKU? This is what I do 90% of the time on mine.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think LJ's are darn cool and wouldn't mind having one as a secondary vehicle.

Swapping a JKU for an LJ as a daily driver--hmm, I'd have to think about that. The newest ones you can find (stopped making them in 2006, right?) are going to be 8 years or older at this point. If I remember correctly, interior dimensions are smaller, the 4.0L was less fuel efficient than the 3.8, and specifically for you, it lacks 2 additional doors for kid-duty. Oh, and the hardtop isn't partially removable (freedom top) like the JK's are. (That's a drawback or benefit, depending on how much your JK top leaks...haha!)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I think LJ's are darn cool and wouldn't mind having one as a secondary vehicle.

Swapping a JKU for an LJ as a daily driver--hmm, I'd have to think about that. The newest ones you can find (stopped making them in 2006, right?) are going to be 8 years or older at this point. If I remember correctly, interior dimensions are smaller, the 4.0L was less fuel efficient than the 3.8, and specifically for you, it lacks 2 additional doors for kid-duty. Oh, and the hardtop isn't partially removable (freedom top) like the JK's are. (That's a drawback or benefit, depending on how much your JK top leaks...haha!)
I thought about the age thing, although I kept my YJ for 15 years so I would just keep it going. Id rather have the 4.0 for the known reliability and it's my opinion that the 3.8 is just as bad on fuel mileage (at least mine is). I was told that a two piece hard top is available now for them too.

Tough choice
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if I was to get rid of the JKU it wouldn't be for another model wrangler. If have to trade it for a truck or something BUT I would definitely be getting another wrangler to go with it. And the LJ would be it. It's the only 2 door IMHO that looks worth a damn. And especially after seeing what RK did to theirs I have really liked them.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to put high line fenders and long arms on a TJ/LJ just to get them to where a stock JK is. I like them a lot but I would never go backwards.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's an LJ in Holdrege Nebraska. Can't remember the year, but it's a soft top. It's at an independent used car shop. It has a salvage title, but the dealer has fixed the issues with the LJ. I believe he's selling it for $10,000. It's silver. If you're interested you can probably find it on autotrader.com. If I had 10k I'd buy it. It's looks nice.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Just know that the LJ is a much rougher ride than a JKU. It's only slightly longer than a standard TJ and personally I'm not sure I care for the proportions, especially with the top up. I have a buddy who has one and loves it so what do I know?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by swiz9
I currently have a 2010 JKU Rubicon. Thinking of downsizing a little for a LJ. On one hand Ill loose a little cargo room and it wont be as easy to get the kids in and out of the rear seat. On the plus side, I think it would be easier to go topless/doorless with only two doors like when I had my YJ.

Looking for some opinions...
Hmm... I've owned a tj lj and now a jku. For daily driving I wouldn't get rid of the jk. The statement about mpg is ridiculous. My 4.0l in my lj rubi could pull high 19s on the highway. If I had a second jeep it would be a lj rubi. It'll definitely fit better on our tight wooded trails we have here. But for a 90-95% street vehicle the jku can't be beat
Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have your wife use your JKU as her daily driver, and buy yourself an LJ for yours.

Problem solved.

An LJ will not be as comfortable or as quiet as a JK or JKU.

I like LJs. So, I bought one and did a mild build on it for my daughter to use as a daily driver.

My wife has a JKU Rubi. I have a JK Rubi.

Here is my daughter's LJ:

05 automatic
3" suspension Teraflex/Old Man Emu/JKS, 1" body lift
33" ATX P3s
4.88 gears with front/rear TruTracs
Teraflex belly-up transfer case skid

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling JKU for an LJ...