Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tonno Cover with Soft Top

Old 09-21-2017, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tonno Cover with Soft Top

Ok I've looked everywhere, here, YouTube, other Jeep sites. Has anyone or is anyone running a JKU OEM soft top with one of the tonno covers?(bestop, Quadratech, etc) If so how'd you do it?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think there's any way to get the side windows or sail panels to hook on to the rail if the tonneau cover is in place since all of them I have seen use the same rail to attach. For that matter I don't think you can use a hard top with them either since the tonneau cover goes over the holes and between the hard top and the body.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. OP, can you explain what you are trying to do? What are you expecting to be accomplished by having a tonneau cover and soft top installed at the same time?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

My guess is the goal is to have a cargo area cover. Enormous oversight on the part of Jeep. Nearly every other SUV on the market has an option of a cargo cover. I built one myself because of this.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
...Enormous oversight on the part of Jeep.
Really? How much demand is out there for a product like this?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking. Yeah I think I'm going to build one myself also just had a chance to get a tonno cheap but if it doesn't work, which I really didn't think it would, not going to buy.
Thanks thought maybe someone had an idea.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by warpeg
Really? How much demand is out there for a product like this?
Who knows. Odd that it comes standard on nearly every SUV on the market but not even any aftermarket supplier I can find makes one for a JK(U).

You would think most car companies anticipate demand before they put in standard equipment like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's one I found but I don't really like it because anyone can just lift it and look in.
Lite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWAIXZlzfVc Pro - - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUH4hx7c08 Love this on!! But damn it is Expensive!! $699 Their products look great. https://www.jeepbackbone.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN0KIulPdpw Going to try and make my own maybe out of Starboard (marine board)

Last edited by RoccoV; 09-27-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

The Tuffy tailgate enclosure will get the job done at less than half the price of the nice one you posted.

JK Unlimited Tailgate Enclosure

If you just want a cover without security then the gpca ones look pretty good.

After building my own from polycarbonate panels and an aluminum frame I can honestly say I wish I had bought the Tuffy instead. I don't recommend building your own unless you are making it from aluminum treadplate. In that case it would be cheaper and fit way better to go with the Tuffy. Imho making one from any kind of wood is a waste. Just go with the gpca until you decide to spend $300 on the Tuffy.

Or maybe you want to buy my Homebrew cover. Then I'll buy a Tuffy.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the Tuffy cargo enclosure. They have 2 versions, one with a hinge and the other is rigidly mounted. I picked up the rigid one second hand for less than 1/2 the price of new. It is heavy but it is built strong and with the tailgate locked there is little chance of someone getting at your things.

Quick Reply: Tonno Cover with Soft Top