Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Waxing Question (for stupid me)

Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with the earlier comment that it is more than just applying a product, it is in the prep. I stated earlier I use zaino, perhaps I should have elaborated, because it was not just slapping a coat on and callin it a day.
Doing my crewcab pickup took 6-8 hours, and I did that twice a year. Monthly coats in between.
Week before I did vehicle, I washed with dawn to remove any waxes/crap, and went over vehicle with tar remover for any road tar globs on rockers, etc. Then washed vehicle again w/dawn. Then used factory touch up on rockers, lower panels which had numerous chips due to road rocks from BFG All Terrains. Also went over vehicle to fill any other surface chips/scratches.
Let paint cure a week, then washed again with dawn. Then washed with zaino car wash. (Use only white cotton usa terry cloth towels to wash and dry). Then claybar'd entire truck with new claybar, using diluted zaino wash solution in spraybottle to lubricate surface. Wash again with zaino car wash. Now start applying coats. Usually 3 coats of Z5 (with zfx), followed with 3 coats of Z2 (with zfx). This was the time consuming part. My arms and shoulders would be screaming by the end of the day. Used Z6 between coats.
I cannot adequately describe on this forum how the finish looked when done. All I can say is you have to see it in person.
Some might say that the aforementioned procedure automatically classifies me as certifiable. Yes it was obsessive, and in fact you might be able to use $2.00 carnuba wax and have it look great after that much labor, but I have to think not as good. Anyhoo, it was worth it to me. Wrenching on vehicles is my hobby and passion. Some like to watch football, I like to work on cars. Keeping it looking good goes with it I guess.

Quick Reply: Waxing Question (for stupid me)