Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What about spacers instead of -offset?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about spacers instead of -offset?

Figure this is worth a new thread. I love the wheels I have on my 2007 Unlimited Sahara, and they have 33x12.50 r18s on them. I plan on going up to 35x12.50 r18 and would like the tires to stick out about an inch or so from flare.

Question- instead of buying new wheels with different offset to get them out there, could I just use backspacing or spacers?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go through the links in post #6 in this thread.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...s-safe-317080/

You'll want the 'adapter' type of spacers with two sets of bolts, not the thin ones that sandwich between and leave less stud threads for the lugnuts to grab onto. I think the thinnest of this type is the 1.25" that Teraflex sells? (note the caution in the instructions about the possibility of having to trim the studs to get them to fit). 1.5" is the more popular choice.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Alternatively, you could consider flare delete options or narrow fender flares. They won't add undue stress on your steering components for a "look". Also, some of the flat flares on Amazon are cheaper than buying a set of reputable wheel spacers. Just something else to consider given that you're in search of a particular look.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Alternatively, you could consider flare delete options or narrow fender flares. They won't add undue stress on your steering components for a "look". Also, some of the flat flares on Amazon are cheaper than buying a set of reputable wheel spacers. Just something else to consider given that you're in search of a particular look.
well,
i am not a fan of flat flares or deleting them. It also seems to feel more stable, the wider the tires. My boggers stick quite a ways out on my 90 yj.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes just get some spidertrax spacers
Old 03-26-2019, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Nothing wrong with Spidertrax spacers. I have a set of 4 which I used temporarily until I got wheels I liked with proper offset. They do add additional stress on your hub unit bearings. The thing I dislike about spacers is that they're another part that gets in the way and needs to be maintained and generally becomes a PIA. They're not a set them and forget them part.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There is nothing wrong with spacers if they work for you. The biggest drawback would be that local shops might not want to touch your jeep to balance or mount tires if they see spacers due to liability. This seems to very greatly across the states, so you might just make a couple calls to local shops to ask if they are opposed to spacers. Also, if you do your own work at home, they do add an additional step anytime you have to remove a brake rotor for any reason. I probably tear my junk apart more than most so get more annoyed by something like that. I had spacers for little over a year before finally buying some appropriately spaced beadlocks. I was happy to be done with them. If local shops won't touch em, that would be a big issue, so just double check.

Quick Reply: What about spacers instead of -offset?