Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What have I done?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
I tend to keep cars a very long time, hope this wasn't a mistake.
We hope that you keep your Jeep even longer than you keep your cars.
When you're riding with the top off you'll realize that you didn't make a mistake. You're right about one thing though, people either love them or hate them. I think it takes a special breed of person to enjoy their Jeep for what it is.
Look at another positive side of it, you have all of these resources to pull information from and you have a community to help you out that comes standard with every Jeep. (That would be a good merchandising idea.)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on getting the new-to-you JK. For all of your questions, If you're keeping your Jeep stock and are interested in better mileage, i would look into getting a Cold Air Intake, and/or a superchip/or any other programmer. These mods will further improve your Jeep's performance and throttle response. Also, if you're gonna play the modification game with the Jeep, the chip will help you re-program the speedometer and tire pressure monitoring systems. As for the soft top and security, i never really had an issue with my soft top unlike some others on the forum, it's not too bad at all in the winter because the heater cranks out 200 degrees, and with some tunes going you can't really hear the wind noise all that bad. Also, the leaking issues some people have can be a pain, but usually they aren't too bad, and you may be able to tuck some weather stripping where it is needed to get it to stop. If that doesn't cut it then keep a look out on the Jeep forums and craigslist for JK hardtops, even though they can smoetimes be hard to come by, the ones you may find will be a pretty decent price, or if you find a damaged one, -they're only fiberglass.. fix it up like new and throw it on the Jeep.

Hopefully that helps a little bit more than, "it's a Jeep! get used to it!" -because that never really was a good excuse. for me, but i do love my Jeep - and have seen people dispise them (my brother bought a JK which he hated) but thats because of the vehicle he had prior (06 Mustang GT convertible)

When you have more questions feel comfortable aruond the board because there are a ton of helpful people around here more than willing to help you out, or even come help you instal some parts.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I'm a Nooby since my last owned Jeep was an 82 CJ-7 with a neck breaking GM four cylinder with a variable venturi carburetor. Yeah It would start going backwards at altitude up a Utah mountain but, when I hit the trails in 4 low, all was right with the world. She wasn't never going to be a Moab crawler but I didn't care. I cussed her sometimes like a cheap rip me off whore. But at the end of the trail, and with all else said, it was the best fun I ever strapped on my A$$. My son has fond memories of our no top no doors rides and was really upset when I sold it to his big brother. He totaled it a month later and that was the end of my affair with the dark lady. So now I have a slightly used 08 Two door X totally stock for now, save the MTX speakers I had laying around the garage. My children and grandchildren refer to it as the "Grandpa" Jeep since it doesn't have a lift that allows a Prius to drive under it, and tires off of an earth mover. But, just like the lady that came before her, she can crawl up those mountain roads and cruise down the interstate with the best of em. It's still not neck breaking, axle twisting power but, it's more than adequate for what it is. And maybe that's the point I'm trying to get to........It's a Jeep thing! Get over it! It rocks and wobbles and the fly by wire throttle isn't exactly perfect allowing frequent "I'm confused throttle shut downs". So I learned to really pay attention to the throttle when starting out. No, it's not perfect but she is leaps and bounds above and beyond the lady that came before her. I've learned through this forum that with a couple of basic mods it can become quite a runner. The exhaust will be first so I can at least "hear" what the engine is doing. Oh! I did install a K&N air filter the first week (the dealers 30 plus ck list didn't find a filthy filter). A cold air induction and a tuner and she'll be eatin outa my hands and beggin for more! If you want Luxury, buy a Luxury car. If ya want speed and 1.0 G turns, buy whatever will do it. But if ya want a vehicle that will take you to work and back in reasonable comfort, cruise the interstate with more than adequate power, and finally, crawl up and down all the mountains and desert trails you could want to encounter within you and your Jeep's capabilities, then buy a damn Jeep and never look back! It is a way of life. My other adventure is my BMW R1200GS that I spend a lot of time exploring the back roads on. It will be a tough decision this coming summer as to which I will take out of the stable, ride hard, and put away wet. But for the winter............you guessed it! It's brand "X" taking me deep into the Utah mountains for some snow bunny hunting. Enough said! Laters..................

Last edited by vickinutah; 01-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: What have I done?