Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is the wheelbase too long?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
I would say that running a no lift unlimited would pretty much get hung up on just about any sort or rocks or ledges. Even 35's would still get hung up on most stuff, 116" is huge! I would think that for any extensive wheeling you would need 37"+ tires on the Unlimited.......47's would be much better.
Dude, I think you need to get your facts straight. There is more to wheeling capability than wheelbase! You should be looking at breakover angle, rather than the wheelbase length. If you compare the TJ Unlimited Rubi (103" wheelbase) breakover angle with the JK Unlimited Rubi, you'll see that they are similar. The TJ breakover is 22.8 while the JK Unlimited Rubi breakover is 20.8. A small lift easily bring you back to the stock TJ Unlimited Rubi breakover angle. I think ghostship has posted some calcs on this in the past that were pretty convincing. And, the JK comes stock with approach and departure angles that are improved (much improved in the case of departure) when compared to the TJ. Stock ground clearance is also better in the JK. I would rather have a longer wheelbase and shorter front/rear overhangs because you can always compensate for the longer wheelbase by lifting, wheras cutting your front or rear overhang is a major undertaking - just my 2 cents!

Also - take a look in the photos section - there are plenty of photos and videos of stock Unlimiteds wheeling moderately difficult trails.

Last edited by cab76; 06-24-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
We run black diamond trails with stock Unlimiteds all the time. They're sweet.

Check out the trip gallery or video gallery on Project-JK.com and see for yourself.
Hate to say it but the trails in your gallery are not difficult trails. Try some real rock trails like the Rubicon or some of the trails around Shaver or even the Hammers. Those are real trails. I'll be doing Swamp Lake over Labor Day. That is harder than Dusy but short enough to to in one day. You won't be taking a stock rig though anything like that.

Last edited by IGOFSHN; 06-24-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Hate to say it but the trails in your gallery are not difficult trails. Try some real rock trails like the Rubicon or some of the trails around Shaver or even the Hammers. Those are real trails. I'll be doing Swamp Lake over Labor Day. That is harder than Dusy but short enough to to in one day. You won't be taking a stock rig though anything like that.
I'm not saying that we're doing crazy stuff, here. I'm simply pointing out that stock Unlimiteds are walking through black diamond trails. And unlimiteds with 35's and 37's are making it through the Hammers and beyond, as Mel from ORE and others have proven. I'm not calling myself hardcore, I'm just saying that an Unlimited does not need 42's to compete with a SWB as some have said.

I'm sure you agree-- you'll be doing Swamp Lake in your Unlimited, right?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachMan
I was just on a few "2-3" rated trails the other day and got hung up a few times crawling up a bank with 35s and locked F/R, so no I don't think I am wrong.
I'm not doubting you. I don't claim that an Unlimited won't get hung up-- but again, I've seen SWB Jeeps get hung up where my Unlimited has not... so I'm saying there might be something more to it all than wheelbase.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think the longer wheelbase will make the Unlimited any less capable than the shorter wheelbase JK. There will be obstacles that one does better at than the other, but thats how it always is. Until they come up with an on-the-fly adjustable WB vehicle, there will always be a compromise with either setup on certain trails. For any obstacle someone can point out that a JK Unlimited wont make it because of the wheelbase, someone else can point out one that the short wheelbase couldnt make it up...all else being equal....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

right now width is my biggest problem. my broncos wheelbase is 105" but the overall length is the same as the jk unlimited [my departure angle is terrible!]. i am basically limited to where i can go in my truck because of my width, being 7" wider than the JK. i was just trying to get an idea of which JK would be better [for me] and im leaning towards the unlimited because of the extra cargo space and the ease of people getting in the rear seats [considering 90% of the time the vehicle is on pavement]

thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Notice that the only people on here saying that the 116" wheelbase is too long DON"T EVEN OWN JKs! If you don't have one, or haven't even wheeled with one, SHUT THE F@#& UP! Sorry about that, but it pissed me off this weekend that some A$$-hole treated me like I should listen to him about where I should go because I was in a new Jeep. Truth be told, I was extremely happy when I learned of the 116" wheelbase. The most capable vehicle I have ever ridden in (even better than all my other Jeeps) was a flat-bed "85 Toyota extra-cab on 36" tires. The wheelbase on that was 115". I think the 116" wheelbase is great.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
Notice that the only people on here saying that the 116" wheelbase is too long DON"T EVEN OWN JKs!
They also don't know math!!
07 JK Unlimited
Base Model.....31” Tires, no lift.....BOA 17.8 degrees
Rubicon...........32” Tires, 1” lift.....BOA 20.8 degrees.....10.5" Ground Clearance
Mod 1..............33” Tires, 2” lift .....BOA 25.6 degrees.....12" GC
Mod 2..............35” Tires, 3” lift .....BOA 31.3 degrees.....14" GC
Mod 3..............36” Tires, 3.5” lift...BOA 35.2 degrees.....15.5" GC
Mod 4..............37” Tires, 4” lift BOA 37.3 degrees..........16" GC

The 06 Jeep with 31" tires BOA 25.4 degrees 10.3" GC
The H1 Hummer 37" tires BOA 29 degrees 16" GC

And, the Approach and Departure Angles are superior on the JK as well.

We don't need the figures to win this idiotic arguement anymore though, since the JK Unlimited's are already tearing up the trails.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

IMO, it's tooooooo long I like it, but it's too long for 32's. For me 35's would be a minimum and 37's are what I really want but I don't think I'll go that big since it's a dd. Of course, I'm used to wheeling my old YJ with 100" wb and 40's So this is different but ok. You just have to adjust your driving style. Ruts and things that I used to roll right over I now have to hit differently. I like it, it makes it more challenging and therefore more fun. I do drag my belly a lot though.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Its all in the driving boys, all in the driving. If you are a good driver and know what your doing, know your vehical...you can do alot with a stock rig. As stated above, look at the calc, this is proff that the Unlimited with a simple lift can have better clearence the a short wheelbase vehical

Quick Reply: Is the wheelbase too long?