Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why all the autos?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 46' cj2a I can drive when I get the itch for a manual transmission. 1st and 2nd gear aren't even synchronized. So it truly is a manual trans. Also have a 91 mustang convertible with a tremec 3550 in it with a heavy a$$
center force clutch in it. I wouldn't want to be in a traffic jamb with either one of them. I'll take my 5 speed auto any day for a DD.

Last edited by Jsboening; 01-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs Manual dilemma

Originally Posted by Riptide
It's not a matter of thinking about it (at least for me). But it's a lot easier to drive in stop and go traffic when you don't need to clutch all the time. Or when trying to drink your coffee and shift and talk on the phone at the same time. It can (and has) been done... but it's a heck of a lot easier with an auto.
Why would you want to drink coffee and talk on a phone and try to shift all at the same time time? I thought that's what they had blue tooth or even the connectivity group for.

I'm having the "do I order auto or manual" dilemma right now. I love the feel of manual transmission over auto... but figured I'd order an auto because of all the praise the 2012 is getting. I decided to test drive a 2012 auto JKU Rubicon and it felt sort of... sloppy. Like I didn't have as much control over the vehicle. Shortly after I test drove a 2012 manual JKU Sport and was grinning from ear to ear - felt completely in control, smooth as butter. I did notice the stick shift still jumps around like it's trying to free itself from some demonic possession every time I went over a speed bump.... oh also - they didn't have a manual JKU Rubi for me to test... so I guess the test drive wasn't necessarily apples to apples (minus transmission).

I don't plan on doing any rock crawling - mostly overlanding and some decent trails... but I want the Dana 44 front axle should I decide to grab some 35's and I sure as hell don't want the color match fenders or top.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
I keep seeing DD as the main reason.. I don't know about the other manual drivers here, but I never think about shifting when driving.. its just instinctual.. Same goes for offroad, it just feels natural.
Same here, everyone that rides with me thinks its to much work and complicated to understand knowing how and where to shift but to me driving my manual is an automatic for me 2nd nature
Old 01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my rhd Jeep to deliver mail so I "need" an automatic but I promise if I win the lottery or get an LLV on my route my next Jeep will be manual. Just more fun factor day to day.

Quick Reply: Why all the autos?