Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why buy a Rubi?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now we are going to start a cast system in the jeep world? This I have to see.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
The Rubicon is probably the most capable stock 4x4 vehicle on the planet. And with a lifetime warranty, you can have a rig you can take nearly anywhere you want to go and if the tranny breaks in 5 years, you might be lucky enough to get a new one.

I see your point...and that is why I am getting the X model. It takes more that just throwing a set of huge axles and tires under a rig to make it that capable...you need stronger suspension components, more power, lower TC gearing, bigger brakes, etc, etc.....

There has been numerous discussions on this topic. 50/50 on the answers you get. Some say you cannot equal Rubi performance for $5k....some say you can....I guess it depends on what and who you know and how you go about doing it.

I like the planning, building, rebuilding stuff, so I will build from a base model up....some would rather have that much less to worry about...and just go wheel the thing....Rubi is awesome!

I don't know too many people that are going to buy a 30K+ rig, be it a Rubicon or whatever and go bash it into the rocks hard enough to snap Dana 44's .......if they were to do that, then they are probably really stupid, filthy rich, and/or both. If they had that kind of money..........why buy an X?
Buying an X and then putting rockwells, lockers, huge tires, etc..........makes no sense either.........if you've got that kind of money, I doubt the price difference between an X and a Rubi is that big of a deal in the first place.......
Just my two.......
Old 09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am getitng a Rubi because I plan to take it to its limits. I've bought stock and built 5 Jeeps so far and I want the Rubicon platform to start with this time around.

Pretty much I have been fighting cancer for 1.5 years and going through transplant now, as soon as I get back to work I plan on order my Rubi. It has to be a Rubi because The "new" d44s will hold a 36/37" tire with alloy shafts and joints, plus it already has lockers and the very strong 4:1 case. Yeah I will regear to 5:38s and adda RE 3.5" lift and bumpers, but thats it for awhile besides cutting fender.

I am lucky to have a good job at a young age and since selling my home when diagnosed with cancer I am paying cash for my new Jeep, it will get beat on atleast 3 weekends a month.

Also is depends on what kind of "Jeeper" you are when it comes to the extra expense of a Rubi, not meaning if you use it or not, but for example my XJ. I was considering spending over $14k on just axles and a t-case on my XJ and its still 9 years old with 80k+ miles, so I'll just keep it like it is on built stock axles and 33s/35s and I am going to eventually sell it once I get a JK.

Last edited by ZachMan; 09-09-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by rupedog
So now we are going to start a cast system in the jeep world? This I have to see.
Naaaah.... ALL Jeeps kick ass.

He must be trollin....hence the power windows comment, as if these are exclusive to (or even standard on) Rubicons... Nice try tho....
Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 AM
HEK
JK Freak

I just bought it because of the stickers on the hood.....
Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think everyone should buy a Rubi.

Then, in a few years when i wish to trade my current Jeep off, there will be a lot of low milage ones to chose from.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

I just cannot see why not. Add up the parts and labor to get to that 5K, and I guarantee you will go over. The guys building there own rigs are planning to spend many times that amount of money to convert there J/K into a rock buggy down the road essentially. Lets face it most of us are not going to do tubes and Dana 60s and 44" tires. I would never have a tire bigger then 35-37, and the Rubicon drivetrane gets you there.

Another reason as I see it, make the RUbicon sales as high as possible as to encourage the manufacturer to make the products we want.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

remember to think to yourself what you will be using your Jeep for, whether you need an X or go full with a Rubi. The trail-levels you take may help with consideration.

oh yeah, and i got my X for the following reason:
building up your own rig your own way, you feel not only unique to other jeepers, but you feel a sense of accomplishment and pride for conquering the trails because of what YOU built up!

cheers!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghostship
I don't agree with the premise of your question: 'Why buy a Rubi instead of an X because Rubi owners are just going to swap out Rubi specific parts anyway?'

The majority of us aren't stripping out most of the Rubi-specific parts. 2008 Rubi specific parts compared to an X are:

Rockrails
Electronic Swaybar Disconnect
YES fabric seats
7 speaker Infinity sound system
4:1 Rock Trac transfer case
Dana 44 HD Rear
Electronic Locker Rear
Dana 44 Front
Electronic Locker Front
4.10 gear set
Performance Suspension
Wheels/Tires
Installation at the factory
Lifetime Warranty

All that for a difference in price of $5220!

Now, most of us that mod the Rubi start with larger tires to increase ground clearance under the axles, and the required suspension lift to accommodate the tires. Some may also change the 4.10 gears to accommodate the larger tires.

Subtracting out the gears, tires and suspension, you still couldn't add the rest of the list to an X model for a $5220 price just for parts, much less add in the cost of labor/installation and a lifetime warranty.

Now, if you mean why someone would buy a Rubi then swap out the axles, lockers, transfer case, rock rails, electronic disconnect, seats and stereo, thereby eliminating the majority of parts covered under their Lifetime Powertrain Warranty and turning the best production equipped Street and Trail rig into a Dedicated Trail rig, instead of just buying an X as a build base...then I'd agree it doesn't make much sense.

But I don't see the majority of us doing that. Most of us keep the meat of the Rubi at a $5220 bargain price.
Excellent response, this is exactly how I see the situation for most people.

Lift and tires are irrelevant as that is something that will be swapped regardless (given the original scenario). I have no intention of swapping any of the other primary components so for the relatively small difference in price I have the most capable Jeep possible.

Oh, and I don’t have power door locks either.

Beel
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
Excellent response, this is exactly how I see the situation for most people.

Lift and tires are irrelevant as that is something that will be swapped regardless (given the original scenario). I have no intention of swapping any of the other primary components so for the relatively small difference in price I have the most capable Jeep possible.

Oh, and I don’t have power door locks either.

Beel
Exactly...Like half the people in X's and Sahara's didn't upgrade their tires/wheels, put on a lift and regear is needed....

Quick Reply: Why buy a Rubi?