Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why buy a Rubi?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For one:

It's easier to finance the whole package rather than saving for all the parts you'd need or putting them on credit cards (which will end up costing you more in the long run)

For two:

Warranty

For three:

The resale. Aftermarket parts never add anything (or not much really) in the end. But the Rubicon will hold its value over time.

And Finally:

The prestige of owning a Rubicon. It's my third one because I refuse to own anything else.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i built my TJ. i've done the blood sweat and tears into my jeep. i've ridden my bicycle for months on end waiting for parts to come in that broke or didn't fit and i was too damned stubborn to put it back to drive to work. i'm done with all that. armor, alloys, 3", 35's and i'm ****ing DONE.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

It was the most expensive jeep the dealer had on the lot.... well.... not counting the SRT.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

[QUOTE=ChopperKrawler;175357]
Originally Posted by ARsahara

Who cares what people do with their own Jeeps. I'd have to disagree that "MOST" Rubicons will be "Mall Crawlers". Just b/c the "10" [people at your work stay washed and waxed doesn't mean that the majority of people in the U.S. aren't wheeling theres. Thats more of a representation of the kind of people YOU work with. Your same statement could be made about X's and Saharas but would be just as ignorant. Yes, not everyone is a hardcore wheeler, thats their choice. Looks like the majority of the Rubi's on this forum have pics showing them in action. And yes my Rubi stays clean and yes I put it in 4wd frequently. I like to take care of my investment. I don't have to justify anything to anybody.
All of these generalizations on posts like this only point back to insecurities.
Sorry, but I have to agree with the post that you're responding to... MOST people aren't going to wheel their Jeeps (Rubi or otherwise). I wheel mine, painted fender flares and all, but didn't choose a Rubi because I'd rarely (if ever) need that little extra capability that they offer.

I'd guess that for every 1 Rubicon owner that buys a Rubi to do serious offroading, there are probably 3 or 4 that won't drive on worse that a dirt road. Why? Because the Rubicon is the most expensive JK offered, and therefore has to be the "best" by our materialistic standards... so you WILL have soccer moms and yuppie dads buying Rubicons, simply because "more is better."

Consider this: You have 5K+ members on this site, and the vast majority of those 5000+ members will offroad their Jeeps. I'll give you that, for sure. However, how many JKs were sold in 07? A HELL of a lot more than 5000! How many of THOSE JKs are getting wheeled? Not as many as you'd probably think... this forum caters to those of us who get it, and most of us will wheel. However, our 5000+ members are not an accurate representation of the world at large.

As far as the generalizations pointing to insecurities, I'm not sure where that's coming from... I'm secure and stand by my choice of Jeep - a Rubicon would be overkill for me, and I wheel HARD when I wheel (as a few forum members and my undercarriage can attest to!).

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 09-13-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MJS_Jeep_888;175669]
Originally Posted by ChopperKrawler

Sorry, but I have to agree with the post that you're responding to... MOST people aren't going to wheel their Jeeps (Rubi or otherwise). I wheel mine, painted fender flares and all, but didn't choose a Rubi because I'd rarely (if ever) need that little extra capability that they offer.

I'd guess that for every 1 Rubicon owner that buys a Rubi to do serious offroading, there are probably 3 or 4 that won't drive on worse that a dirt road. Why? Because the Rubicon is the most expensive JK offered, and therefore has to be the "best" by our materialistic standards... so you WILL have soccer moms and yuppie dads buying Rubicons, simply because "more is better."

Consider this: You have 5K+ members on this site, and the vast majority of those 5000+ members will offroad their Jeeps. I'll give you that, for sure. However, how many JKs were sold in 07? A HELL of a lot more than 5000! How many of THOSE JKs are getting wheeled? Not as many as you'd probably think... this forum caters to those of us who get it, and most of us will wheel. However, our 5000+ members are not an accurate representation of the world at large.

As far as the generalizations pointing to insecurities, I'm not sure where that's coming from... I'm secure and stand by my choice of Jeep - a Rubicon would be overkill for me, and I wheel HARD when I wheel (as a few forum members and my undercarriage can attest to!).
Rubicons offer "little extra capability" than a Sahara? No wonder you have to wheel yours so hard, just to keep up on a trail with our dual-locked, low ranged, disco'd rigs. Plus, you're incurring more breakage and cosmetic damage too...what a bargain!!

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference if a Rubicon owner takes it offroad or not. The fact remains that the Rubicon offers an incredible value for it's performance capability, with a lifetime warranty to boot. You can't buy an X and build a comparable rig piecemeal for twice the price.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Son of Sam

My dog told me to buy it...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is like peace in Ireland folks, there are two sides to it and neither shall the two ever meet.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
This is like peace in Ireland folks, there are two sides to it and neither shall the two ever meet.
You killed my response? Why? It's not like I took him up on his offer to beat him to death!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to pick a point to start, and i would rather not close the thread. So I tried to pick a place where you both had your say, but before it went south. that was all.

I was in no way chosing sides.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I had to pick a point to start, and i would rather not close the thread. So I tried to pick a place where you both had your say, but before it went south. that was all.

I was in no way chosing sides.
Fine - make me be an adult, why don't ya?

Bottom line: (being respectful of everyone) A Jeep's a Jeep, and a Sahara or X with a good driver behind the wheel is a capable rig. I'm done.

Quick Reply: Why buy a Rubi?