Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why not a Hemi?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why a Hemi? Stock 2012s do 0 to 60 in the high 6 seconds, that was sport car territory a few years back, plus the ability to cruise at 75 mph and get 21 mpg. All that combined with a 5yr / 100k miles warranty and as stated before, the new Pentastar will hurt Hemi conversion sales.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
I was just razzing you because you suggested buying a Ram truck instead. I would have to cut the doors and roof off and somehow shorten the wheelbase.
LOL, I know, no problem. I only suggested that (Ram) because it was the only non-car I knew where one could get a hemi on a 4x4!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi

A lot of you were probably not around during the CJ days. Altho they were great fun they got a nasty reputation for KILLING PEOPLE. They literally scared the hell out of people. I personally know of many, MANY fatality's from rollovers when I was a kid. Even tho the new Jks damn near feel like they ride like a normal vehicle, it is deceiving as they STILL rollover VERY easily. Combine that with the power of a Hemi, and Jeep would be looking for trouble. I personally feel that Jeep still wants to stay as far away as they can from the reputation they got not so long ago.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
A lot of you were probably not around during the CJ days. Altho they were great fun they got a nasty reputation for KILLING PEOPLE. They literally scared the hell out of people. I personally know of many, MANY fatality's from rollovers when I was a kid. Even tho the new Jks damn near feel like they ride like a normal vehicle, it is deceiving as they STILL rollover VERY easily. Combine that with the power of a Hemi, and Jeep would be looking for trouble. I personally feel that Jeep still wants to stay as far away as they can from the reputation they got not so long ago.
I remember multiple CJ rollovers on the street in the mid 1980's, and I was a passenger in a 70's Bronco rollover on a dirt road in 1988. Hi power, high COG, and short wheelbases/narrow tracks are a recipe for disaster if the driver is even remotely careless.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharkey
Hi power, high COG, and short wheelbases/narrow tracks are a recipe for disaster if the driver is even remotely careless.
Bingo......!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. This was helpful.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember multiple CJ rollovers on the street in the mid 1980's, and I was a passenger in a 70's Bronco rollover on a dirt road in 1988. Hi power, high COG, and short wheelbases/narrow tracks are a recipe for disaster if the driver is even remotely careless.
But they looked so BA back then....lol
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

This ^^^^^^

After that Consumer Reports article came out on the CJ in the early 1980s, we're lucky Jeep even continued to build them at all.

Notice what happened.. there was a full year with no Jeeps produced and then the YJ came out with wider axles and a 4-cylinder. They've made sure ever since that the Wrangler doesn't have tons of power for our own good.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good points. That is one reason, among others, that I have not lifted this Jeep and probably never will. It handles pretty damn well as is, for what it is.

Obviously there is a price paid in weight, dimensions, and complexity but the JK is night and day different in handling than any old Jeep I have driven, at least until lifted too high and/or driven too fast. That said, I rarely ever break 85 mph in the thing. But damn 0-60 is fun sometimes away from town.

Safety is relative. As my body ages and reflexes slow down, the JK is still much safer for me than my ZX-11 was, or 7" lifted V-8 FrankenRanger still is. I love the Jeep thing, but 30 years of adrenaline high from the go fast days is not easy to give up overnight. The setup I have now is perfect, for me. I can have a little performance on the street and still do relatively mild offroading with confidence. All while having near the open air feeling of a motorcycle.

After all, a person can kill themselves on a 5 hp minibike if they want to get careless enough.

Although, epecially if someone comes out with performance systems like a supercharger for the 3.6, indeed conversion sales should diminish except for the V-8 diehards.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-14-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all comes down to numbers. A rubicon fully loaded runs around $40k or more. You put a hemi in it and now it costs $50k. I complained when I bought my 2012 JKU sport for $25k. So why would JEEP release a Hemi powered model when the Rubicons already break under prolonged mild wheeling conditions. As for now you can buy a JK Sport new/used for cheap, put in a hemi, Dana 60s, and airlockers and still come out less than $50k.

Quick Reply: Why not a Hemi?