Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why not a Hemi?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a Hemi?

Why isn't a Hemi offered? I'm looking to get one in the upgrade of my wife's WK (to WK2) and I don't understand why I can't have one on my JK. I see the conversions so it can be done. What gives?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Id say CAFE, but my gut feeling is they dont offer it because they dont need to. They sell wranglers nearly as fast as they can build them.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepken
Why isn't a Hemi offered? I'm looking to get one in the upgrade of my wife's WK (to WK2) and I don't understand why I can't have one on my JK. I see the conversions so it can be done. What gives?
It's a Jeep (duh) - not a race car. I think they sell Dodge, excuse me, RAM trucks with Hemi's. Go get one of those.

Do they sell the conversions? Yes, and I've seen those in the shops after they have destroyed all the stock driveline parts too.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f2fast4u
It's a Jeep (duh) - not a race car. I think they sell Dodge, excuse me, RAM trucks with Hemi's. Go get one of those.

Do they sell the conversions? Yes, and I've seen those in the shops after they have destroyed all the stock driveline parts too.

With all due respect, No You. Will not conform. Driveline parts are replaceable or upgradable.

Anyway, probably a combination of front crash safety (it is a tight fit for and aft), having to beef the entire drivetrain to avoid people breaking stuff in 4-lo (warranty), and CAFE.

And as pointed out, the 2012 is already selling well.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-12-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

I feel there are many reasons, first I think regulations come into it jeep probably has the worse mpg overall per brand so a hemi. Would bring that even further down second is simple tooling they would need to run two separate lines because the drivetrain would be different when running 2 lines that would increase production cost and would hurt sales there would be a low demand for the v6 and the hemi would detract from the ram and wk line JJ are hugely profitable simplified like they are stop buying and they will do more than fancy footprint or video game stickers to attract new buyers
Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee

With all due respect, No You. Will not conform. Driveline parts are replaceable or upgradable.

Anyway, probably a combination of front crash safety (it is a tight fit for and aft), having to beef the entire drivetrain to avoid people breaking stuff in 4-lo (warranty), and CAFE.

And as pointed out, the 2012 is already selling well.
Yeah, break'em on the trail? That's always fun. I was at Screamin Lizards the other day and they had a row of busted up Hemi conversions that had fun off roading with too much power. Heck I love power. Some is good, more is better, and too much is just right. My 800 hp supercharged Cobra, or my two 550 hp Mustangs, or that slow Mach 1 with only 375 hp that I have.

Want me to write a book on the subject? Can do...

But I don't want an imbalanced drivetrain for a 2,500 mile vacation that includes going places you shouldn't - then, drive it back home.

Heck it's documented all over the forum that the drivetrains on even the Rubicon's are way over rated. Why do you think there are so many after market vendors for them?

Obviously there are people that know how to use that increased power on the stocker drivetrain, like yourself, but for Jeep to sell that to the masses would require them to rethink the whole thing.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Getting past emissions in some states. That would mean my Jeep would no longer be street legal :(
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Repo503
Id say CAFE, but my gut feeling is they dont offer it because they dont need to. They sell wranglers nearly as fast as they can build them.
They could put Briggs and Stratton lawnmower motors in the Wrangler and they would still sell like hotcakes....
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
JK Jedi

I was admiring the SRT Charger and 300 today and noticed that with the 6.4l Hemi they were rated at 17/23 mpg. Add a lot of weight and brick styling, then you can figure out why... To avoid the $1000 gas guzzler tax...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by f2fast4u
Obviously there are people that know how to use that increased power on the stocker drivetrain, like yourself, but for Jeep to sell that to the masses would require them to rethink the whole thing.
I do not disagree. They would have to put an Atlas and 60's under them or suffer a nightmare of warranty claims.

I do not rock climb, trails and and some mud and sand is all I see. Also I am on stock tires with no lift.

Even so, any mistakes with the throttle in 4-lo could break something in the stock drivetrain in short order. Just as people break stuff all the time with a stock motor and big tires.

I was just razzing you because you suggested buying a Ram truck instead. I would have to cut the doors and roof off and somehow shorten the wheelbase.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-13-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Why not a Hemi?