Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wont Sell Products Without Your Phone NUmber

Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If you use the store cards, you can often use your phone number instead of the card to receive whatever credit they give--makes for a slimmer wallet. And, yes, they also can use your phone number to verify a warranty--no receipt required.
Yep, I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking. I go to CVS often with no card and give them my phone number to verify.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

two scenarios, you chose:

1) you give the guy your phone number and can buy your bolts and move on with your life

2) you refuse to give the guy your number or any fake number based on principle and subsequently drive around all day looking for another store with the same thing that doesn't require you to give out a phone number

lol. I would prefer they take down my info and store my receipts online, much easier for me and who cares if they know what kind of bolts i'm buying?
Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due To Privacy Concerns Post Has Been Deleted

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-11-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I give a fake number 867-5309 ( look it up ) and my zip code is 98765
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
I wasn't sure where to put this.. but here is what happen this morning.. While searching for the last 4 sway bar drop block bolts.. I recall Advances auto having a bolt section.. I went in found only two remaining and asked the clerk if he could call other stores in the area and ask if they had two more on the shelf..

But get this.. he asked for my phone number and when I decline to give him my number he said; I'm like what??.. and there were no managers on duty.. so I simply walked out.

Mind you I know what these companies do when we give them our phone numbers.. you those calls in the middle of the night asking you to switch to a new brand or product etc.. marketing.. Phfft.. My wife said just give them some bogus number, which I could have done.. the principle still remains.. So I sent an email to advance auto just to see if this is company policy.. which is highly doubtful..

After searching several other stores found the four bolts I needed at home depot.. but I had to drive all over town to do it.. First the ATM's aren't working.. but thats another story.

So I'm wondering.. if a store/retailer asks for your cell number, would you give it to them in the know that your number is sold and sent to marketing agencies..
Was she good looking
Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due To Privacy Concerns and constant bantering, This Post Has Been Deleted

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-11-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might be over analyzing it and needlessly made your day more frustrating that it had to be. If you're one of those folks that things every corporation out there is trying to get you then just give them a fake number. Lots of stores I visit ask for your number to keep your information up to date and warranty exchanges/returns.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the places that ask for seemingly no reason or where there's no correlation between our transaction and why they need my phone number, my reply is usually "aren't you going to buy me a drink, first?"

It usually turns their dumb question into a good laugh and we move on. I've never had anyone dig in without good reason though. (And I've never gotten a free drink out of the deal).

Quick Reply: Wont Sell Products Without Your Phone NUmber