Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports

Old 12-19-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We all know why we have a Jeep. If there are things wrong with Jeep, we put up with it because nothing else IS a Jeep!

If our reasons for owning a Jeep were used by CR instead of judging the value as if it were an appliance, they would recommend only one vehicle and it would be a. . . JEEP!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Jeep because, well, I love the way I feel when I'm in it. I have never owned another vehicle that I actually look forward to my commute in the morning simply because of the vehicle that I am doing it in. 99% of the folks I speak to at work NEVER talk about their vehicle. Because it's simply a way to transport them from point A to point B. Quite frankly, I don't really get too hung up on point A or B. But I am quite passionate about the distance between them in my Jeep. That's why I drive this vehicle. It's like nothing else on the road, I get complimented every day on it, and it just simply makes me smile every day. Just like the lady I'm with and the dog that shares our happy life. Anything that gives me that, is worth it's weight in gold, IMHO. Yep...
Old 12-19-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A four wheel drive fan magazine should take a Civic and evaluate it exactly like CR does for their car tests. Except instead of interior ride noise, number of cupholders, etc., evaluate break over angle, articulation, ability to climb a steep grade, etc. Write it up exactly in the format, style even colors and fonts that CR uses. Show how ludicrous CR's test criteria are for the Wrangler.
I'll be happy to be the Stig for this. Who wants to donate the cars for scientific testing?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, after reading this, I checked Kelly Blue Book on two different vehicles. The wifes 2007 JKU bought new in Oct 2006, and the grand daughters 2013 Mazda iSV 3 we bought her for her 16th birthday in June 2013. Granted this is like comparing and apple to an orange, however it is a comparison non the less.
The JKU is the X 24S package. The Mazda is the iSV or standard. The JKU is all manual except for an auto X-mission. The grand daughters Mazda is fully automatic, doors, windows, and so forth, + 6 airbags. Both have cruise control. The JKU has 61,600 miles, the Mazda is at 11,500 miles. Bought new, the JKU was $24,750 plus tax and license = $26,490. The Mazda including tax and license was $18,460. Both had the 3/36 warranty. Both were brand new off the lot. The price today for trade in for the JKU is $17,281. The Mazda trade in today is $10,250. The diference in price is $9200 for the JKU. The diference for the Mazda is $8210. Not much, however let's take the yearly difference to date, and we see a loss of value for the JKU is $2161 per year, whereas the Mazda has a loss of value of $5473 per year from the time we purchased the vehicles. As you know the first year a brand new vehicle looses the most of it's value, however all in all I would venture to say the diference of the value loss for the Mazda 7 more years down the road will be far more than the JKU.
Just to let you know our family is a Jeep family. The daughter has a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, The son has a 2008 Liberty, The wife with a 2007 JKU and I had a 94 XJ, recently sold to a co-worker. I tried to push a Jeep for the grand daughter however she wanted the Mazda. I went for it because the Mazda had very good safety markings in 2013, very good MPG, and for the price is a great car for a 16 yearold, and it is a great car for a newly licensed driver.
As she gets older we will most likely trade the Mazda in on a Jeep of some sort. Time will tell.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A four wheel drive fan magazine should take a Civic and evaluate it exactly like CR does for their car tests. Except instead of interior ride noise, number of cupholders, etc., evaluate break over angle, articulation, ability to climb a steep grade, etc. Write it up exactly in the format, style even colors and fonts that CR uses. Show how ludicrous CR's test criteria are for the Wrangler.
I like it.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Ironic the worst valued vehicle has one of the best resale values...
Old 12-20-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Ironic the worst valued vehicle has one of the best resale values...
That made me laugh. So true.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:36 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Default Consumer Reports Ranks Wrangler Unlimited Worst Value

Consumer Reports Ranks Wrangler Unlimited Worst Value

In a recent Consumer Reports study, the Wrangler Unlimited topped the list as the worst new car value on the market, according to a USA Today report. That contrasts strongly with how popular the SUV is when it comes to sales.

Read the rest on the JK-Forum.com homepage. >>
Old 12-24-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR needs to buy a fleet of Land Rovers and own them for 3-4 years. They'll change their minds.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And yet they broke records for production this year...at least 1/2 million people call BS just this year.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...-due-this-week

Quick Reply: Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports