Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

x saraha or rubicon

Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x saraha or rubicon

Wanting to buy my first jeep,it will be a daily driver and used for hunting and other mild offroading. Im wanting to lift it and go with 35s right away. My question are many, 6 speed or auto,ruby or x? what gears ? on and on. Also im buying green sheet so the 32k ruby im looking at with the 6 speed I can buy for 28k or go cheap and get a x real low. What you all think???
Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

If you plan on getting 35's on it I would get one with the 4.10 gears, I think you can still order an X with the 4.10's, If you are not into the heavy offroading and the need for lockers save the cash. The money you save will pay for a lift, tires, rims and a winch . I have an x and it keeps up with everyones Rubi's really well. cheers
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

What you buy is really a matter of preference and what you can afford. If you want the most capable off-road out of the box then but the Rubi. If you enjoy working on your rig and getting your hands a little greasy modifying your rig there certaintly isn't anything wrong with an X.
As far as transmission. Have you driven a stick much and are you comfortable with it.
Myself I like a stick but I have driven them all my life. I like the comprssion of a stick going down hill. I haven't driven the new Jeeps with auto so I can't really comment on how they are but to date I myself have never driven an auto down hill that would stand up to a stick.
That being said: I own a stick and I have questioned myself that maybe I should have bought a auto. I have always shifted by feel and sound of the engine and these new Jeeps are so damned quiet and I hate having to look at the tach.
My best advice. Don't get old.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scbesse
If you plan on getting 35's on it I would get one with the 4.10 gears, I think you can still order an X with the 4.10's, If you are not into the heavy offroading and the need for lockers save the cash. The money you save will pay for a lift, tires, rims and a winch . I have an x and it keeps up with everyones Rubi's really well. cheers

Nope only Rubicons come with the 4.10s. You can only get the Xs with 3.73s now.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

If you get the X with a stick and 3.73 s you will be ok with 35's. Not great, but ok. Unless you need the Transfer case, 410s, Dana 44 front, etc I would do the X and mod to suit your desires.

I love my X, even though it is stock for now.

No matter what you get you will instantly fall in love.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dedduc,
Another eastside JKer,
I green sheeted mine, the only way to go.

If you are going to 35's you may find the 3.73s tough to live with. I love the 6 speed, even my wife likes it eventhough she is on the short side.

I test drove several combos, hard and softop, auto and 6 speed, had my wife with me so she could test as well.

I would drive several and pick your preference.

Welcome to the forum,

If you see me in Waterloo make sure you wave.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

For mild off-roading you probably don't need the Rubicon. The automatic gear box is excellent and the engine's compressing is very good which benefits going down steep descents as the engine will do most, if not all of the breaking.

With 35" tyres, regearing the Ring and Pinion in your axles is a must. My advise is 5.13 gear ratio on an auto, 4.88 on a stick.

BTW: What's green sheeting???
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j33per
For mild off-roading you probably don't need the Rubicon. The automatic gear box is excellent and the engine's compressing is very good which benefits going down steep descents as the engine will do most, if not all of the breaking.

With 35" tyres, regearing the Ring and Pinion in your axles is a must. My advise is 5.13 gear ratio on an auto, 4.88 on a stick.

BTW: What's green sheeting???
It is an old term for the Friends and Family or the Employee discount. The price is under invoice and most current rebates and incentives still apply.

Very low stress way to buy if you can do it.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

man I need to find a way to green sheet one too :(

I know on a chevy forum I'm on the people can give the coupon out to other people... is that something you can do with the jeeps too?

Personaly I like the rubi cause you get the dana 44's the 4 to 1 low, AND 4.10's and better tires...... and if you ARE gonna change out the gears for lower ones.... you ALREADY have the correct carriers AND LOCKERS..... what's NOT to love about it ESPECIALY IF YOU ARE GONNA MOD IT.

and my Wifes the same way about the one we are looking at for her... she wants tires that are AT LEAST as big as mine (35's)
Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 AM
JK Jedi

Sounds like the X would suit you well, but if cash isn't an issue get the Rubicon.

Quick Reply: x saraha or rubicon