Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Yet another WTF from one dealership and kudos to another

Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another WTF from one dealership and kudos to another

I was doing some cosmetic modding over the past weekend, Plastidiping the wheels. I went to remove the spare and there was a locking lug not on it (which I appreciate) but I quicklly figured out the dealership did not provide me with a key to remove the locking lug nut. So I call them and they say you must have lost it and for me to bring it to them so they can see what size key is needed so they can sell me one. So I get pissed and go to another dealer closer to me this morning (a dealer I did not purchase the Jeep from by the way) and they look at it. Come to find out the locking nut on the wheel was not factory to begin with. The Jeep dealership did not have a key that would fit it! They also said that if it was a factory installed locking nut there would be one on each wheel not a single on the spare. Long and short of it is the service guys were able to get the BS one off without damaging my wheel or anything and they did not even charge me for doing it! I then proceeded to purchase a set of Mopar locking lug nuts so that I would have one on each wheel. Who sells a vehicle (Jeep or otherwise) with after market crap on it and does not provide you with a means of getting the aftermarket crap off!?! Retorical question I know the answer. Venting done, I feel a little better now.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Did you buy it pre owned or something?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Did you buy it pre owned or something?
No man brand new right off the lot only 26 miles on it. That's what floors me.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

That happened to me too. Good think I never had a flat tire. I would have been screwed!!!!! Got mine off with a socket beaten over it. The lug was trash after that, but hey got it off!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PatrickESJK
That happened to me too. Good think I never had a flat tire. I would have been screwed!!!!! Got mine off with a socket beaten over it. The lug was trash after that, but hey got it off!
I'm pretty sure that's what they did to mine too. And I was thinking the same thing. If I would have had a flat I would have been screwed. Glad we can get to them now if we need to.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scott franklin
I'm pretty sure that's what they did to mine too. And I was thinking the same thing. If I would have had a flat I would have been screwed. Glad we can get to them now if we need to.
Amen!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine had only one lock nut on the spare and none on other wheels to and i was there delivery day before they prepped it. But my key was in the console or dash can't remember... Glad you found a good dealer to help you
Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Mine came with nada, nothing, no locking lug nuts.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

I'm willing to bet it was a dealer installed locking lug nut and they lost the key. All good auto shops that install wheels and tires can take off locking lug nuts, if the socket over the lug doesn't work, they have special sockets to remove them.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

What about locking gorilla lugs?

Quick Reply: Yet another WTF from one dealership and kudos to another