Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Your tried/tested info for newbies.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Your tried/tested info for newbies.

Just got my brand new 2008 JK Unlimited a couple of weeks ago. Went to hose off the bugs from the grill at one of those do-it-yourself car washes, and minutes later steam (smoke?) started coming from over the end of the hood after I started the car and was in traffic.

Freaked out and a little embarassed, I pulled over, running the car until the steam stopped -- this never happened with my old little sports car. I think everything is OK now.

But still would like to know your advice. What have you discovered on your own? Best things to do and to not do to your JK....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by brightyoungj; 10-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't compare it to a sports car

Enjoy every minute that you get to drive it.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Get it over with early and go put a scratch on it now.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just your jeep pissed that you have yet to take it off road. RubyDoo does that when she has not been off road in over a week.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

You wash your Jeep?

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum and enjoy your new toy!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brightyoungj
Just got my brand new 2008 JK Unlimited a couple of weeks ago. Went to hose off the bugs from the grill at one of those do-it-yourself car washes, and minutes later steam (smoke?) started coming from over the end of the hood after I started the car and was in traffic.

Freaked out and a little embarassed, I pulled over, running the car until the steam stopped -- this never happened with my old little sports car. I think everything is OK now.

But still would like to know your advice. What have you discovered on your own? Best things to do and to not do to your JK....

Thanks in advance!
It's a problem with the JK's, when I took mine through my first water crossing, as soon as the front end hit the water, a puff of steam came out of the grille. I stopped after we got out of the creek to look at it, but nithing was wrong. Just another odd thing about the new JK's I guess.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the JK's do it, and my old WJ did it also.. Its a Jeep thing I guess
Old 10-29-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

you have a car or a Jeep?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Proud owner of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited! ;D Had too many bugs on my windshield, so hosed it etc., off.

Good to know that the steam from the grill is a Jeep thing. Was worried I did damage.

Does anyone know of a better way to wash the grill, etc., avoiding the steam?

P.S. Someone else told me to put a scratch in my baby, but I can't do it! Want to go off-roading ... maybe in a couple of months. I know you guys are going to give me crap for this, but just not ready to see her with a ding or scratch. She's so pretty!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brightyoungj

P.S. Someone else told me to put a scratch in my baby, but I can't do it! Want to go off-roading ... maybe in a couple of months. I know you guys are going to give me crap for this, but just not ready to see her with a ding or scratch. She's so pretty! [/SIZE][/FONT]
I know how it feels. But I got over that when it had a couple of hundred miles on her. Went wheel'n with a jeep group that loves the Tillamook Forest. The "roads" we were on were old grown over loggin roads. It even made the old jeep owners cringe as I scrapped a layer of paint off and replaced it with bark and sap.
Once that was out of the way I enjoy it even more and the wounds show the H2 and Fj owners that its not a bling wearing -pavement princess.

Quick Reply: Your tried/tested info for newbies.