Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

got stuck, bent shock, engine noise

Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got stuck, bent shock, engine noise

so i went down a trail a bit further than i normally do and went around a deep puddle and got stuck a bit past it. my uncles back hoe had trouble pulling me out as he couldnt get to close i was in clay, now my rear passenger shock has little movement after a log got in between it and the axle, and my engine whines a bit and sounds like a deisel
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep n' fish
so i went down a trail a bit further than i normally do and went around a deep puddle and got stuck a bit past it. my uncles back hoe had trouble pulling me out as he couldnt get to close i was in clay, now my rear passenger shock has little movement after a log got in between it and the axle, and my engine whines a bit and sounds like a deisel
sounds like you have issues bud. How deep were you stuck?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear passenger shock has been known to come out of the assembly over torqued and fails. Mine broke the metal rod!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

i went around a pretty long deep puddle so when they towed me out they had to pull me right through it about 2 inches of tire left showing on the 32 inch bfg's. the diesel noise is nothing new its just worse and it dosnt sound exactly like a diesel, just alot of pinging under acceleration, its always done it now its just worse, my dads 08 dosnt seem to make that noise
Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep n' fish
i went around a pretty long deep puddle so when they towed me out they had to pull me right through it about 2 inches of tire left showing on the 32 inch bfg's. the diesel noise is nothing new its just worse and it dosnt sound exactly like a diesel, just alot of pinging under acceleration, its always done it now its just worse, my dads 08 dosnt seem to make that noise
If your tire was 2 inchs shy of being under water, you my friend have a good chance of having water in the engine. Are you under warranty?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JkHauler
If your tire was 2 inchs shy of being under water, you my friend have a good chance of having water in the engine. Are you under warranty?
You mean like this?Click image for larger version

Name:	P3115079.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	157651Click image for larger version

Name:	P3115078.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	157652Click image for larger version

Name:	P3115076.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	157653:
Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I bet the whining sound is a simple issue. I had the same problem after going through some deep nasty muddy water. In fact, all 3 of the JK's there had the same issue. Turned out to be the tensioner pulley (I've posted this before but I will re-post here)

My issue was the pulley attached to the tensioner which is on the lower right hand side. When I took it off, it looked fine but I still put the new one on it the sound was completely gone. I know it sounds weird but it fixed all 3 of our Jeeps when we all repalced it. From what i understand, mud can break down the plastic that the pulleys are made from which causes an uneven wheel for the pulley to turn on which then causes the "turbo" whine sound.

Mine got worse as I put miles on my Jeep. It got to a point where it was so loud I finally had to fix it

It's easy to do and costs very little. I believe NAPA sells them for about $16. You have to take the tensioner off which is one bolt and then the pulley is held onto the tensioner with one bolt. I have zero skills in mechanical stuff but I did it in 10 minutes.

if you look on the left side of the below pic, the tensioer is the metal thing under the big black wheel on the left side (sorry, on't know technical terms for every wheel!). The pulley is small and is located on the right side of the tensioer facing into the engine bay. That is why you have to take the tensioer off to get at the pulley (you can see the one bolt on the left side which you take off). I think I used a 3/8" ratchet in one of the 3 holes on the tensioner to push down to loosen the belt.

Also, I "think" this video of mine which i posted for a different issue has the sound mine was making. I can't remember and can't view this at work but I believe you will hear the whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-8dQJeizRI

Last edited by mpkelley20; 05-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I bet the whining sound is a simple issue. I had the same problem after going through some deep nasty muddy water. In fact, all 3 of the JK's there had the same issue. Turned out to be the tensioner pulley (I've posted this before but I will re-post here)

My issue was the pulley attached to the tensioner which is on the lower right hand side. When I took it off, it looked fine but I still put the new one on it the sound was completely gone. I know it sounds weird but it fixed all 3 of our Jeeps when we all repalced it. From what i understand, mud can break down the plastic that the pulleys are made from which causes an uneven wheel for the pulley to turn on which then causes the "turbo" whine sound.

Mine got worse as I put miles on my Jeep. It got to a point where it was so loud I finally had to fix it

It's easy to do and costs very little. I believe NAPA sells them for about $16. You have to take the tensioner off which is one bolt and then the pulley is held onto the tensioner with one bolt. I have zero skills in mechanical stuff but I did it in 10 minutes.

if you look on the left side of the below pic, the tensioer is the metal thing under the big black wheel on the left side (sorry, on't know technical terms for every wheel!). The pulley is small and is located on the right side of the tensioer facing into the engine bay. That is why you have to take the tensioer off to get at the pulley (you can see the one bolt on the left side which you take off). I think I used a 3/8" ratchet in one of the 3 holes on the tensioner to push down to loosen the belt.

Also, I "think" this video of mine which i posted for a different issue has the sound mine was making. I can't remember and can't view this at work but I believe you will hear the whine.

that sounds like power steering on the 86 fort aerostar we had...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kris003
that sounds like power steering on the 86 fort aerostar we had...
I thought I had wrecked something really bad with the sound I was getting. But a plastic pulley was the culprit. This is the stuff that caused my issue (and my Jeep still smells!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJkkGcqRys

Quick Reply: got stuck, bent shock, engine noise