Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

There is a first time and last time for letting someone else drive your Jeep

Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a first time and last time for letting someone else drive your Jeep

So we were driving on the beach this weekend. I had my wife and youngest son, my Mom and her boyfriend in the Jeep. I finally decided to let my Mom’s boyfriend drive my Jeep on the beach, as a courtesy for him and my Mom letting me stay with my family at their beach house. We take off with the boyfriend at the wheel and I am explaining the finer points of driving the Jeep and making sure he is aware of his surroundings. I noticed a wash out on the beach cause by erosion of the waves. I attempted to warn him of the terrain and to stop, but unfortunately he did not react in time. He did manage to drive down a 12” ledge at approximately 10 to 15 mph and stop shortly after. Fortunately, we were at the edge of the wash out, the highest point was about 24”.

Damage assessment – Mom, slight bruise above eye from hitting the sound bar; son, bruised egg on forehead, slight concussion and bloody nose from hitting the sound bar; wife, cut above right eye requiring 5 stitches and a black eye from hitting the sound bar; Jeep, not a scratch, thanks to the gussets.

I have to love my 10 year old though, after being attended to and giving him a towel for his bloody nose while it is still bleeding, his first question “Is the Jeep okay?”

Lessons learned – backseat passengers will always wear their seat belts. I will let my 10 year old drive the Jeep before my Mom’s boyfriend.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the injuries to all the family members. I hope they all come out of their injuries okay. Glad the jeep is okay.

I am very cautious about who drives my Jeep. I absolutely have to know they are a competent driver and even then, it is usually on road only. Never offroad. It also helps me that mine is manual. Most of my friends/family only drive automatics so they don't even ask to drive it because they can't handle the manual transmission.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, everyone is well.

I was back and forth all summer about letting him drive it on the beach. The beach is usually crowded with everyone camping out all day during the summer. Figuring this was the off-season it would be easier to instruct him and less trouble to be had. I had already driven a couple of miles on the beach and it seemed an easy unobstructed drive for him, but I learned my lesson.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJersey_Jeep
Yes, everyone is well.

I was back and forth all summer about letting him drive it on the beach. The beach is usually crowded with everyone camping out all day during the summer. Figuring this was the off-season it would be easier to instruct him and less trouble to be had. I had already driven a couple of miles on the beach and it seemed an easy unobstructed drive for him, but I learned my lesson.
What beach? Brigantine beach?

I think the lesson shouldn't be the rear passengers must wear seat belts but all occupants. I tried to teach my wife ar IBSP, but she said there are to many things to remember.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

I learned this lesson when I was 14 and let. A friend ride my Honda CR 125. Well, he crashed, walked a way and f****ed up my bike which my parents made me pay to have it fixed. Lesson learned. Never let anyone drive your rig or toys.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:40 AM
-

I will not rub this in.. But I will say this, several times my wife's niece wants to learn how to drive the jeep.. clearly this sends off warning signals and I would never allow anyone other than myself or my wife drive our jeep.. Thou one will have to allow the shop mechanics to in order for them to detect issues before and after any sort of installation.. and I do worry when they take it for a test drive afterward.
Mind you I was raised on a farm.. we were taught early to learn to drive a tractor, so if the niece had asked if she could drive the jeep and I knew how well she has driven other vehicles.. would I allow her to?.. Prob not. But I do allow the kids to sit in the jeep while I'm there. Did the same with the vette.. the Lost in the 50's guys hated me for allowing anyone a chance to sit in these vehicles..
Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by espi
What beach? Brigantine beach?

I think the lesson shouldn't be the rear passengers must wear seat belts but all occupants. I tried to teach my wife ar IBSP, but she said there are to many things to remember.
Yes, Brigantine Beach. We are usually parked down by the jetty during the summer months.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

man I would be sueing the crap out of Chrysler the seat belts should have prevented people from hitting the sound bar unless they are 7' tall.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
man I would be sueing the crap out of Chrysler the seat belts should have prevented people from hitting the sound bar unless they are 7' tall.
Passengers in rear seat were not wearing their seat belts as they should have. Now I don't move the Jeep until I hear all belts click and no one else is allowed to drive the Jeep.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
Apparently not everything was read?

They weren't wearing their seat belts, that's why others said lesson is to have everyone wear their seatbelt..

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Quick Reply: There is a first time and last time for letting someone else drive your Jeep