Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trails in Moab?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
I had Well's southern CO book on my recent trip. It was better than nothing but just bairly. He tried to cram too much stuff into that little book so the maps are so small they're nearly worthless. The maps also didn't show intersecting trails. I had a GPS app on my iPhone and .gpx tracks for all the trails and that saved me from getting lost. If you're interested I could give you the app name and where you can get the tracks for free. Also I would give you a little advice here. I do appreciate the tips I got here on the threads that I posted asking about specific trails in CO before we went but I found that the locals underestimated the difficulty of some of the trails. I consider myself between a moderate and expert and do some fairly difficult trails here in OK, but while some indicated a trail was "just a gravel road", to me might be pretty scary. So consider that to a local or expert Jeeper a trail might be easy to them but be very hard for you.
I definitely wouldn't mind finding out how to get the map for fins and things. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Also, I have a small slime air compressor. Any suggestions on using it? I think it gave a time frame to fill on each tire but then it said wait 20-30 mins to let it cool between filling tires. I sounds like filling up will take forever. Is that normal?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

there is plenty of air up places in Moab. I would not mess with a Slime pump.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackie27
Also, I have a small slime air compressor. Any suggestions on using it? I think it gave a time frame to fill on each tire but then it said wait 20-30 mins to let it cool between filling tires. I sounds like filling up will take forever. Is that normal?
That is a long time to air up. I have a dual ARB and I can fill my 33"s from 12 psi to 35 psi in about 1 1/2 minutes each. It's a little pricey but worth it. ARB also makes a single that's much cheaper and it's still pretty fast.

And you can get free gps tracks here:

Jeep the USA - 350 Western US Jeep, SUV & ATV trails.

You can import them into most gps apps and some gps stand alone units. I use an app called "GPS Tracks" and it's easy to import tracks into it.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

That is a long time to air up. I have a dual ARB and I can fill my 33"s from 12 psi to 35 psi in about 1 1/2 minutes each. It's a little pricey but worth it. ARB also makes a single that's much cheaper and it's still pretty fast. And you can get free gps tracks here: Jeep the USA - 350 Western US Jeep, SUV & ATV trails. You can import them into most gps apps and some gps stand alone units. I use an app called "GPS Tracks" and it's easy to import tracks into it.
How do you download the map into GPS tracks? I clicked on the map on my phone safari, and it gives me a bunch of code
Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do you download the map into GPS tracks? I clicked on the map on my phone safari, and it gives me a bunch of code
It can be a bit of a pain. I'm using an iPad. I hold down on the link and a popup comes up. Then I select "Add to iCloud drive". It then sends it to the iCloud as a text file. Then you go to the "Tracks" page in GPS Tracks. Select the three lines top right, press, and select "Import", then "iCloud drive" then you will see your track as a text file. Select that file and the app does the rest. It shows up in the app with the correct name and everything. I emailed the owner of the site asking about a couple different trails and he sent me 4 .zip files of 4 different areas, with a total of about 100 tracks. This way it's easy, you just import the zip files and GPS Tracks somehow knows how to seperate all the tracks as .gpx tracks. They are named and everything. It was a learning curve for me but it's not so bad once you've done it a time or two. Any more questions just ask.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's an even easier way to do it. You will need an app from Apple called "iCloud drive" after you send the map to the cloud by pressing on the link in the web page and sending it there you can use the iCloud app, just press and hold on the file and a popup appears and there is a button there under "share" that says "import with gps tracks. The app does the rest for you.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

There's an even easier way to do it. You will need an app from Apple called "iCloud drive" after you send the map to the cloud by pressing on the link in the web page and sending it there you can use the iCloud app, just press and hold on the file and a popup appears and there is a button there under "share" that says "import with gps tracks. The app does the rest for you.
I tried doing both exactly how you had both said, and nothing happened despite all the same steps
Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tried doing both exactly how you had both said, and nothing happened despite all the same steps
At which point are you having a snag? I pretty much wrote that as I did it myself. Did you import the file "Text.txt"?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

At which point are you having a snag? I pretty much wrote that as I did it myself. Did you import the file "Text.txt"?
I did, I got all the way through and did everything it's just when I imported it nothing happened

Quick Reply: Trails in Moab?