Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trails in Moab?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails in Moab?

I'm headed to Moab for Labor Day (I'm assuming it'll be jam packed). Looking for some trail recommendations! I'm signed up on Badge of Honor and know that there are a number of Moab trails also on that app.

I've done some easy to moderate off road trails and my Jeep is stock. Looking for recommendations on some trails, as well as if there will be any jeepers out there that weekend willing to ride together!
Old 08-27-2017, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackie27
I'm headed to Moab for Labor Day (I'm assuming it'll be jam packed). Looking for some trail recommendations! I'm signed up on Badge of Honor and know that there are a number of Moab trails also on that app.

I've done some easy to moderate off road trails and my Jeep is stock. Looking for recommendations on some trails, as well as if there will be any jeepers out there that weekend willing to ride together!
Here's a good website for all of western US, including Moab:

Moab Jeep trails with gpx tracks - * * * * * Jeep the USA
Old 08-27-2017, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Fins and things looks like a good one for a stock Jeep and moderate ability. Would poison spider be a little tough and be better for mods?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fins and things is a nice moderate trail. There are a lot of steep descents, and climbs, so make sure you air down so that you can get maximum traction. On the first half there is a Down, an immediate up, then a down again. If you handle that okay, you should be set with minimal dram for the rest of the trail.
Poison Spyder is a little tougher. There are some water falls that probably would not be for someone doing them, by themselves, for the first time. There are a few winch anchors on the trail on the steeper sections. There are some pretty challenging sections with pucker moments, as well. I found it tougher than Hells Revenge or Flat Iron Mesa, but that is just me. I don't know that I would feel comfortable taking a pure stock jeep on it, though I am sure that it could make it. You just have to be prepared for any associated damage that might happen.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Az scooter
Fins and things is a nice moderate trail. There are a lot of steep descents, and climbs, so make sure you air down so that you can get maximum traction. On the first half there is a Down, an immediate up, then a down again. If you handle that okay, you should be set with minimal dram for the rest of the trail. Poison Spyder is a little tougher. There are some water falls that probably would not be for someone doing them, by themselves, for the first time. There are a few winch anchors on the trail on the steeper sections. There are some pretty challenging sections with pucker moments, as well. I found it tougher than Hells Revenge or Flat Iron Mesa, but that is just me. I don't know that I would feel comfortable taking a pure stock jeep on it, though I am sure that it could make it. You just have to be prepared for any associated damage that might happen.
So I should be able to do fins and things with my stock Jeep it sounds. How low should I be airing down? I have a slime air compressor so it'll probably take a while to fill back up after so I would like to not take out too much air if I can
Old 08-29-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackie27
So I should be able to do fins and things with my stock Jeep it sounds. How low should I be airing down? I have a slime air compressor so it'll probably take a while to fill back up after so I would like to not take out too much air if I can
I air down to 12-14, have never slipped a tire. If you are concerned that you may slip a bead most people I ride with run 15.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

fins and things and hells revenge are both easily doable in a stock jeep.

check out Charles Well's funtrek moab trails book. also redrocks 4x4 club has a good website.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had Well's southern CO book on my recent trip. It was better than nothing but just bairly. He tried to cram too much stuff into that little book so the maps are so small they're nearly worthless. The maps also didn't show intersecting trails. I had a GPS app on my iPhone and .gpx tracks for all the trails and that saved me from getting lost. If you're interested I could give you the app name and where you can get the tracks for free.

Also I would give you a little advice here. I do appreciate the tips I got here on the threads that I posted asking about specific trails in CO before we went but I found that the locals underestimated the difficulty of some of the trails. I consider myself between a moderate and expert and do some fairly difficult trails here in OK, but while some indicated a trail was "just a gravel road", to me might be pretty scary. So consider that to a local or expert Jeeper a trail might be easy to them but be very hard for you.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point. What some people and areas consider a back road, might be considered a highly technical trail somewhere else. It also depends on experience for a particular type of four wheeling.
I consider Fins and Hells both to be relatively simple trails. Particularly without the major obstacles of Hells. I know others will freak out on them because of the climbs and descents.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Az scooter
Good point. What some people and areas consider a back road, might be considered a highly technical trail somewhere else. It also depends on experience for a particular type of four wheeling. I consider Fins and Hells both to be relatively simple trails. Particularly without the major obstacles of Hells. I know others will freak out on them because of the climbs and descents.
I think my fiancé is a little nervous about the steeps, however that is what 4L was meant for a I feel comfortable using it. I would like to keep it on the easier side and fins and things sounds like a great place to start. We are only in town for two days so we may just hit that trail and play in the river the following day. I appreciate the heads up on locals opinions, as I'm sure it'll seem easier to them!

Quick Reply: Trails in Moab?