Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 wheel tire rotation

Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by single
Same here, it's not that bad and you can check your brakes while rotating. Plus, I don't trust others to rotate my tires since I had a cross threaded lug nut that some idiot pounded on with an impact and didn't bother telling anyone.
I'v done that myself. Some grit got stuck in the threads and it took an impact wrench to get it off. I learned though that replacing a lug stud isn't too hard of a job, but if it's in the summer, it's well worth the $30 or so a shop will charge to fix it. I busted my $15 torque wrench trying to pull it though though. It was all I head on hand and it took some serious leverage to pull a lug stud through.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

its listed in your manual
Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Directional Tires

Tires that should only roll in one direction will have rotation arrows on the side wall. Otherwise you can rotate your tires the way you choose, just rotate them the same each time and on a regular schedule. If you don't want to do it yourself it is cheap to get the tire shop to rotate them for you. I pay $16 to get mine rotated as close to 5000 miles as I can get it to the shop and it takes them about 10 minutes.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Guys... I have my JK since november 2010 (bought it new) and i have NEVER rotated mine (BFG MT's 32... Or rubi tires). Not to mention, the spare is completely new. What should i do? Rotate the used 4.... Or rotate the 5 of them? The spare is new, so maybe is not a good idea to include in rotation after 10 months of use for the other 4.... Any ideas? :/

Thnx
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bingote
Guys... I have my JK since november 2010 (bought it new) and i have NEVER rotated mine (BFG MT's 32... Or rubi tires). Not to mention, the spare is completely new. What should i do? Rotate the used 4.... Or rotate the 5 of them? The spare is new, so maybe is not a good idea to include in rotation after 10 months of use for the other 4.... Any ideas? :/

Thnx
Rotate the tires! And rotate that spare in before it gets too late. Once you need the spare and its been hanging on the gate for 3-4 years, who knows how it'll hold up, if at all. It's a small probability it wouldn't but you don't wanna take that chance. I'm on a 5000 mile oil change and rotate nowadays... 45-50 mins tops for the entire process.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DirtyDi
Rotate the tires! And rotate that spare in before it gets too late. Once you need the spare and its been hanging on the gate for 3-4 years, who knows how it'll hold up, if at all. It's a small probability it wouldn't but you don't wanna take that chance. I'm on a 5000 mile oil change and rotate nowadays... 45-50 mins tops for the entire process.
Ok, but i'm worried about the tire being new compared to the other four... if i do include it in the rotation, what must i expect? will it drive different? that tire will always be newer... i understand it's better sooner than later, but... i would like to know the cons of including that tire in the rotation now...
Another thing is... i don't think i'll be 3 - 4 years with my actual tires... maybe one more year? do i still better include the spare in the rotation? give me more info please guys, i am worried and want to know what to do and what to expect... thnx
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Rotate the 5
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bingote

Ok, but i'm worried about the tire being new compared to the other four... if i do include it in the rotation, what must i expect? will it drive different? that tire will always be newer... i understand it's better sooner than later, but... i would like to know the cons of including that tire in the rotation now...
Another thing is... i don't think i'll be 3 - 4 years with my actual tires... maybe one more year? do i still better include the spare in the rotation? give me more info please guys, i am worried and want to know what to do and what to expect... thnx
After 10 months your tires are already that worn down? My 32's have just over 15,000 on them and look almost brand new. And I wheel A LOT! Now I don't know you're driving habits but I'm pretty easy with mine. I'm definitely not trying to smoke the tires! Haha I'd recommend trying to measure one of the tires on the ground and compare it to the spare. A couple 32nds shouldn't make much difference. But if you're in the market for new tires soon, I'd check out the tread wear and then decide.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have unidirectional tires and was wondering how a 5 tire rotation can be done short of remounting tires.. Or what other method do people do with unidirectionals?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dronac
I do the 5 tire rotation from the diagram. I get free rotations at discount tire, but it's a pain to try and get them to follow the same rotation every time. No one but us Wrangler owners does a 5 tire rotation, so I'v seen techs just randomly toss the spare in place of another tire in the standard rotation. When I try to get them to follow the diagram, they give me the crazy look. Now I just do rotations myself.
I just chalk the tires with where I want them and tell them to follow it. Little LF, RF, LR, RR, SP. Easy to follow, easy for me to double check.

Quick Reply: 5 wheel tire rotation