Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

$25 Hitch solution

Old 06-24-2007, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $25 Hitch solution

Take one part of useless rear tow hook, one part neighbor with cutting torch and welder, one part $25 hitch cut to length and you have the perfect hitch for my bike rack.....
Priceless...

I was a little daunted by the prices of the hitches on the market right now and came up with a solution that only cost me $25. Works great, no rubbing of the tire. I did put some weight on the rack once it was installed and it is solid. I still can not open the rear gate, even with the hitch tilting, but overall I am very satisfied.

Marc
2dr Black Sahara

Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe its just the picture but it doesn't look like there's too much weld on there... Its prolly fine for the bike rack, but just make sure you don't ever get tempted to pull a trailer with it. I have the curt hitch installed and it was 100 bucks, i'm super happy, solid as a rock and i wired up a wal mart harness for like 6 dollars. Still a lot more then 25 so you've got me beat there, but i know i can tow with it. If you're only looking for a place to put the bike rack you're prolly fine. Either way, very creative. Now do us one better, and have that neighbor weld the old hook onto a frame rail somewhere so you can have both.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mwilkie
Take one part of useless rear tow hook, one part neighbor with cutting torch and welder, one part $25 hitch cut to length and you have the perfect hitch for my bike rack.....
Priceless...

I was a little daunted by the prices of the hitches on the market right now and came up with a solution that only cost me $25. Works great, no rubbing of the tire. I did put some weight on the rack once it was installed and it is solid. I still can not open the rear gate, even with the hitch tilting, but overall I am very satisfied.

Marc
2dr Black Sahara

If all you intend to use it for is a bike rack it should work. I would not recomend using this for a trailer or a recovery point. I know the factory hitch is a lot stronger than this looks. I could be wrong but pulling a trailer with a makeshift hitch is asking for trouble. Also if you use it for recovery you will put a lot of strain on it and it could break, parts will go flying, and someone could get hurt.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hitch

Should have mentioned that my neighbor is licensed welder and it will ONLY be used for the bike rack. The welds are solid, but I will keep an eye on them.

If and when I ever need to pull something, I will spring for the real thing.

Out of the 6 Jeeps I have had, I have never once used a tow hook front or rear, so it wasn't something I was to worried about.

Marc
2dr Black Sahara
Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool idea - but

hope i am not behind you on the freeway -

now i know why DOT has to approve stuff -
Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Default yea...

isn't a hitch like $100?

if that bike falls off and hits someone's car... they will have much more of you than $100.00

but its a good mod...

Personally I use my front and rear tow points almost every ride...

(to pull the other guy out)!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

I am sure it will hold up just fine to a bike rack. Any competent welder can make a very strong hitch. If this guys friend/neighbor is a licensed welder I wouldn't worry about it at all. Growing up, my friends dad was a welder and they made all their own hitches. He worked for a mining company and built hitches for all their big trucks and tractors. The hitch on my friends jeep was abused hardcore and never had a problem.

I would take this welded hitch before a spare tire mount anyday.

Because of liability issues, I would rather use a purchased hitch for towing. It is nice to pass/share the buck if something bad happens.

Bryan
Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by duneslider
I am sure it will hold up just fine to a bike rack. Any competent welder can make a very strong hitch. If this guys friend/neighbor is a licensed welder I wouldn't worry about it at all. Growing up, my friends dad was a welder and they made all their own hitches. He worked for a mining company and built hitches for all their big trucks and tractors. The hitch on my friends jeep was abused hardcore and never had a problem.

I would take this welded hitch before a spare tire mount anyday.

Because of liability issues, I would rather use a purchased hitch for towing. It is nice to pass/share the buck if something bad happens.

Bryan
As I said it looks fine for a bike rack I mean you are just looking at what less than 50# total? I was just wanting to make sure you did not just have someone throw something together (as it sounded) and put a trailer with 500# of tounge weight and like 3200# of overall weight on it and go bouncing down the road. I have seen stress fractures withless weight/force on things. I can weld myself but for something like a trailer (not hitch I buy those installed but welding one up or repairing one) I take it to a professional.

Quick Reply: $25 Hitch solution