Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

AEV Corner Guards...

Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Corner Guards...

Alright, so as I've said before, there's a problem with the length of two bolts (or the drilling instructions, it depends how you see it).

When you get to the large drill bit, and drill the holes closest the to rear door on the left-hand corner, there's a second layer of steel that doesn't get drilled (only affects the bottom 2 of 3 bolt holes) -- IF you follow the depth limits suggested in the instructions. You'll be able to install the nutserts, but when you tighten the bolts, the bolts will press against this second layer of steel and push out the body. You can either drill farther before installing the nutserts, or cut those two bolts a 1/4" or so shorter.

You'll also need to cut the tabs on the licence plate holder, but that's a fairly obvious step. :-)

Here are some pictures with a few notes.... You can see some larger pictures here http://public.mvlan.net/folder/011/J...rner%20Guards/.

* Reaching in to undo the tabs holding the licence plate box in place.

* Here's what those tabs look like. They can be a bit of a pain to undo, until you take a picture with a small camera, and then it's easy. :-)

* I also added Mopar's gas tank cover. It was easier to push the o-ring away from the plastic cup, then to squeeze the gas tank tube out of it.

* Then pull off the o-ring from the gas tank tube.

* Then re-install it in the new cup.

* You need to re-install the rear lights to mark the drill holes. The old guy is my very handy father-in-law. :-)

* Punch the marked spots, then use a small bit. Make sure it's nice and sharp. Don't push too much - let the bit do it's work. That way, you minimize burs.

* A good bit is even more important when drilling the larger holes. If you're not sure how sharp it is, go buy a new one. For five of these holes, you'll be drilling through TWO layers, so a good sharp bit is really important. This hole, and the one above it, needs to be drilled through the second sheet of metal also, otherwise the bolt will rest on it and push out the body when you screw them in.

* Don't forget to file and/or debur.

* And paint the exposed steel with rust-proof paint and/or primer.

* It helps to be two people when doing the nutserts. :-)

* The nutserts can slip, so you may need to push on 'em a bit. Have a glove handy... :-)

* Before the corner goes on...

* Before you put back the licence plate box, you need to cut off those tabs.

js.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Default The end. :-)

* The finished look.

* My wife, father-in-law, and myself (from left to right). :-)

js.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Nice write up. The finished product looks great.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Looks Good.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Nice job, looks awesome!

Ran
Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsmoriss

* My wife, father-in-law, and myself (from left to right). :-)

js.
Glad you let us know who the wife and father in law were, I had them all switched around!

Just kidding, great job!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Looks great, and thanks for the write up.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks really good, and now the question.

Do you think they could take a decent tree hit or a boulder rub without deforming?

Ron
Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PBR_Stitch
Looks really good, and now the question.

Do you think they could take a decent tree hit or a boulder rub without deforming?
Hmmm... The corner guards themselves - absolutely. The rest of the body... Hmmm... Not so sure... It depends on the hit, I guess. Those bolts/nutserts could tear into the body, but it would probably take a really big hit. I wouldn't expect any damage from small-medium hits.

Personally, I put them on to re-inforce the corners for an eventual roof rack installation. In that case, the roof rack mount will probably take the hit. :-)

js.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Wow those look good too. I just saw another post on their bumper which looks really nice. did you order the guards from aev or someplace like quadratec? how long did they take to come in?

Quick Reply: AEV Corner Guards...