Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Alternate CB Antenna mounting

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck
How did you get that kind of spacing to put it there? I was looking at my stock 32 inch and it's tight up against the 3rd light! Just the natural spacing with your wheels or did you have to use a spacer?
I'm running a spare the same as the four in the dirt, American Eagle Wheels, #186, 15x8, 3.25" backspacing. This is the way it normally bolts up to the carrier, no spacer needed
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

I see. Couldn't do it on mine. I ran my coax from the rear to the front...and was about 3 ft. short! Decided I'll have to mount somewhere up front.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I see. Couldn't do it on mine. I ran my coax from the rear to the front...and was about 3 ft. short! Decided I'll have to mount somewhere up front.
I have a 2 door and used the 18 foot length of firewire coax, had about two foot extra I snaked under the carpet. Do you have an Unlimited or is your coax 9 foot?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Mine was too.. Decided to go with the Cobra unit that mounts under the dash, and has the ram type mike.. Should work well There is a install post on here somewhere..
Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John is that the FL3B or FL4B?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

4 door. Oh well...back to figuring it out! Mounted the CB above the rear view mirror, back up camera to the left and V1 to the right! ALL hardwired!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
John is that the FL3B or FL4B?
FL3B, barely clears the garage door frame!!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Hey do you have any pix of how you mounted the mount for the handset? And of how you soldered your antenna? I did a similar rear carrier mount, but it is off to the side of the third brake light and rounted the cable almost the same way thru the swing gate. I had to cut the part of the coax off that plugs into the cb, now I gotta figure out how to splice/solder it.

Thanks for the write up
Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dubya
Hey do you have any pix of how you mounted the mount for the handset? And of how you soldered your antenna? I did a similar rear carrier mount, but it is off to the side of the third brake light and rounted the cable almost the same way thru the swing gate. I had to cut the part of the coax off that plugs into the cb, now I gotta figure out how to splice/solder it.

Thanks for the write up
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the handset bracket or the PL-259 connector.
Here's the words though, make the pics in your head

The handset mount I made myself, it's just like Cooltech's, mounts the same. You have to take the centerstack off, it mounts using the existing screws that hold the radio in on that side. My bracket went between the radio and the radio mounting surface.

The coax I bought didn't have the PL-259 soldered on. I ran the coax and soldered it on afterwards. Do not try to splice back on what you have cut off, it won't work very well, you'll lose a lot of signal and SWR tuning will be a bitch.. What you need to do is go to your nearest Rat Shack and get this, or if you want to solder, this and these. Make sure whatever you buy will fit your coax, it should be RG-58.
I can't really tell you how to solder them on, it's best to show. Maybe youtube has some videos on that?....
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Sweet, thanks for the tips! And yes, I was about to splice back together that which I had cut. The only other question I have is where did you hook up the power? Did you run it thru the firewall or what? I have installed my Cobra on 4 different TJ's, don't lnow where to run it in the JK tho.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Alternate CB Antenna mounting