Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Alternate CB Antenna mounting

Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubya
Sweet, thanks for the tips! And yes, I was about to splice back together that which I had cut. The only other question I have is where did you hook up the power? Did you run it thru the firewall or what? I have installed my Cobra on 4 different TJ's, don't lnow where to run it in the JK tho.

Thanks again
Follow this link, I did what CAPSAM54 did, I punched thru the foam circle. It'll take you right out to the battery.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the great writeup, John.
I'm not even going to mention the lame places thought of putting the CB box. Your under-glove-box solution is perfect. I followed it today, along w/CAPSAM54's firewall solution (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10014).

Did you just stuff the wires into the battery terminals, or wire them into a fuse? I'd like to do the fuse way, but not sure how.

I had already bought CoolTech's license plate mount. Now I'm reading about folks ripping off their plates on the trail. I guess I'll wait for it to happen, then move the mount to the center.

Thanks again,
Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottcarp
Thanks for the great writeup, John.
I'm not even going to mention the lame places thought of putting the CB box. Your under-glove-box solution is perfect. I followed it today, along w/CAPSAM54's firewall solution (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10014).

Did you just stuff the wires into the battery terminals, or wire them into a fuse? I'd like to do the fuse way, but not sure how.

I had already bought CoolTech's license plate mount. Now I'm reading about folks ripping off their plates on the trail. I guess I'll wait for it to happen, then move the mount to the center.

Thanks again,
Thanks for the kudos, but I was not the originator on the antenna or cb placement. There have been so many threads on these subjects I can't remember who did what. I just kinda tweaked them all to fit my needs.

OK, I ran my positive wire directly to the battery terminal (via crimp terminal) and ran the negative to a conveniant ground screw adjacent to the fuse box. The positive lead already has an inline fuse so I didn't bother with another one.

My only (small) regret is that when I lift the jeep the antenna won't clear the garage door. Then I guess it'll be time for a new house!!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats why I got the quick disconnect for the firestick
Old 06-23-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by low4life
Thats why I got the quick disconnect for the firestick
Hi, Quick Disconect for the firestick? sounds great. I have the same problem.. Where did you get that? Thanks..
Old 06-23-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by captsam54
Hi, Quick Disconect for the firestick? sounds great. I have the same problem.. Where did you get that? Thanks..
WalcottCB and CoolTechLLC both sell them - $15 each.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

disconnects work fine, I have a mount that tilts to the side on my TJ. I'm going to get the same thing for my JK. But I've read 18 is not long enough to run in a 4 dr? I have the same Cobra 75 and plan on just buying the under dash module for my JK.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And another bonus of the 3 ft firestick is it lays perfectly under the trunk lid right above the tire jack opening so it would difficult for someone to steal it! I put my microphone in a zippered canvas pouch in the trunk so I have everything with me and fairly secure.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Question Help

I just put in the same CB. I would sure like to know what you used to make the mike output below the glove box. Mine looks real bad and doesn't work so good. The one that you did looks great! Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dnhenson
I just put in the same CB. I would sure like to know what you used to make the mike output below the glove box. Mine looks real bad and doesn't work so good. The one that you did looks great! Thanks
Not sure what you're asking here, do you want to know what i used to make the hole in the panel? If so, I used a .750 hole saw if I remember right.

Quick Reply: Alternate CB Antenna mounting