Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Better back up lamp install

Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump back up. I really need some input on wiring these lights
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

man thats an awesome way to mount them. I purchased them at truckfest in orlando last week and i still have to mount them. deff going to do this mod now!!!

How are the lights against water? they say "do not submerge"
Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice installation, very clean!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is how you can add that second control circuit to KC’s design. This allows you to turn the auxiliary lamps on even when not in reverse gear.

To control the relay under KC’s schematic. The white wire is taped to the factory’s reverse lights. When you hit reverse gear, power flows over the white wire to turn on the relay. What we are going to do is provide a second power source for this line.

This first schematic shows one way you can add this.

In this example. The white wire in KC’s loom is now shown here as both blue and green wires. We are going to add the gray wire. This is simply hooked up to an ignition hot line and thru a switch that you can mount on your dash. When you turn the switch on. Power flows to the relay to turn on the new lights. To get an ignition hot line, I taped the left cigarette lighter plug in the dash (your right is constantly powered).

You will have to add two diodes to this splice to keep every thing from back feeding. This is the black triangle shaped emblem in the gray and blue wires. They are used in this diagram to protect both the factory’s wiring and yours. Without them when you hit the switch, electricity will also flow backwards thru the factory reverse light circuit. This can lead to damage. Also when you shift into reverse, power intended for the lamps will also be sent backwards into the cigarette lighter. Not good. You can get the diodes at Radio Shack. You will need make sure it’s rated for a minimum of 12v @ 15-20amps. The gray strip on the diode tells you which end is wired toward the KC lights.

Here is another method you may want to use.

With this diagram if you use a SPDT center off switch. You will not have to use any diodes. This will also enable you to turn off the lights while you are backing up. This is the method I used on my old Jeep. The problem I found here was. Setting up my switch bank. I wanted to keep everything uniform. But you are very limited what style switches are available. I found I always kept them on anyhow so I didn't bother with the new Jeep.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4lo n go
man thats an awesome way to mount them. I purchased them at truckfest in orlando last week and i still have to mount them. deff going to do this mod now!!!

How are the lights against water? they say "do not submerge"

I have used this same kit on my last three Jeeps. I never had any issues with water. The set that is on my JK now is at least three years old and his been submerged several times. still no problems, They still even have stock bulbs in them.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey man I really appriceate this diagram. I think I am heading in the right direction now. Thanks for your help.
Andrew
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any idea how I could wire these to a switch and also have them come on automatically when in reverse? My gut tells me its possible but it will take someone who is more electrically inclined then I. thanks

Last edited by Robar; 03-11-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Edited blacklisted manufacturer
Old 08-22-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SFD1248Unlimited
Hey man I really appriceate this diagram. I think I am heading in the right direction now. Thanks for your help.
Andrew
No worrys. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdmmd
Any idea how I could wire these to a switch and also have them come on automatically when in reverse? My gut tells me its possible but it will take someone who is more electrically inclined then I. thanks
What kind of switches are used? I'm assuming the kit came with all simple SPST (single pole single throw)? If so and you can solder use the fist diagram. This will enable you to Manually turn the lights on with the switch. When you shift into reverse the lamps will come on automatically.

If you can swap the contura switch for a SPDT (single pole double throw). You can use the second schematic. This will prevent you from having to use any diodes.

Last edited by Robar; 03-11-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Edited blacklisted manufacturer
Old 08-22-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by W3CSX
What kind of switches are used? I'm assuming the kit came with all simple SPST (single pole single throw)? If so and you can solder use the fist diagram. This will enable you to Manually turn the lights on with the **** switch. When you shift into reverse the lamps will come on automatically.

If you can swap the contura switch for a SPDT (single pole double throw). You can use the second schematic. This will prevent you from having to use any diodes.
Hey W3CSX, I have the lower daystar panle with a toggle. I am assuming that its SPST. So do I use the first or second diagram???

Last edited by Absolute; 07-21-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: blacklisted mfg

Quick Reply: Better back up lamp install