Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

On Board Air - Version 2

Old 10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board Air - Version 2

First of all... i want to thank ROXTER for giving me the incentive and ideas to finally do what I have been wanting to do for well over six months (LAZY). That thread may be found here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/diy-board-air-55407/

Second - This is not going to be near as detailed (short attention span )

In Roxter's post, the location of the air compressor was perfect... safe, out of the way, perfect! So I get excited and rip apart my air compressor. Well... just so you know, said location does not fit on my PJ stubby.

So I found the place next to the evap canister... here is where the disclaimer comes in... USE THIS LOCATION IF YOU PLAN TO ARMOR IT OR DO NOT PLAN TO PLAY ON ROCKS A BUNCH!

It is there... flush with the bottom of the jeep (it does not protrude any further than my evap. However, the right rock at the right time could and would destroy it along with your evap.

Anyways... moving past the boring warnings. The bare bones is this:

Supplies:
Air Compressor
Standard Hose (clear 3/8" ID tubing)
High Pressure Hose (I used 250 PSI triple reinforced)
3 - 1/4" Barbed Hose adapters
60 FT Air hose + Quick Disconnect Female Adapters on each end (however long you want or need)
1/4" - quick disconnect female adapter
1/4" elbow female connecter

*** I am probably forgetting some as I kinda worked as I could and bought parts as I needed.

The Process: *** Dismantle air compressor and use high temp rtv to seal it ***
1) mount air compressor (mark and drill holes into floor board)
2) 3/8" ID barb on air in and air out ports
3) Air in port attaches to standard hose
4) Air out port attaches to high pressure hose
5) Run the wires however you would like (i ran the frame rail with zip ties and kept them away from the exhaust)
6) Standard hose was run up in behind my tail light and secured via zip tie and permanent double sided adhesive
7) 1/4 " hole drilled through floor board under driver side rear seat
8) 3/8" Barbed to high pressure hose put through hole with washer and silicone or high temp RTV and mated with elbow.
9) quick disconnect male attached to elbow.
10) Zip tie cables and hose to keep away from exhaust

Make sure you silicone or RTV the holes you drill or you get the bubbly through the floor board in deep water/mud.

I wanted the connecter inside so I didn't have to worry about mud, clogging, etc. Hope this gives some more ideas.

The mount location:

The High Pressure Hose and RTV:

Tubing to Intake behind Tail Light

The In Cab Connecter:

Last edited by 07JKX; 10-10-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to see you were able to find a solution. Keep your eye on that intake hose as it may tend to collapse and reduce the volume of air you can pull in. You might also be able to get a little more protection against impacts if you rotate the pump 90 degrees so it's on its side. E.g., move the mounting brackets so they run up the side of the pump instead of across the bottom, and you'd be able to remount the pump exactly where you have it now, except the head of the compressor would be parallel with the floor. Hope that makes sense.

Ron
Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

that is exactly where I mounted my Viair. however, if you take the mounts off of your compressor you can mount them 90* from what they are now and then the compressor will sit flat against the body.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

i thought about that...but i didnt do it for some reason... not sure why... but it made sense at the time!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

You might add a second disclaimer to avoid excessive mud or water with it in that location. Those things are weather resistant, not water proof.

I wound up mounting my VIAIR compressor under the driver's seat. Fits perfect and doesn't interfere with the seat movement.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

I will nottell you how I know this or recomend it to anybody but a viair compressor can be run fully submerged under water as long as the intake is above water
Old 10-11-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fishyguy
I will nottell you how I know this or recomend it to anybody but a viair compressor can be run fully submerged under water as long as the intake is above water
Did you use it for blowing bubbles?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Roxster
Did you use it for blowing bubbles?

How did you know? Where you following me
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Strong Bad
You might add a second disclaimer to avoid excessive mud or water with it in that location. Those things are weather resistant, not water proof.

I wound up mounting my VIAIR compressor under the driver's seat. Fits perfect and doesn't interfere with the seat movement.
i fully disassembled it and high temp rtv'ed all locations... its water proof... hopefully.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

nice this is what ill do

Quick Reply: On Board Air - Version 2